What is your favorite coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by GoToSleep, Oct 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

you know, bc of the difficulties you will have in "cleaning up" stray coral... these are the things *I* would avoid like the plague in this tank of yours GTS

xenia (any variety)
    GSP (green star polyps) or its variants
    anthelia
    mushrooms (not ricordia's)

these things just spread way too quickly. In a tank this size, you'll be tempted to just let it go for a while without constant cutting back and any of these could quickly become a nuisance, IMO, in a tank this size.

Just my opinion

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Echo :)

1 person likes this.
  4. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

My favorite that is IN my tank right now is my orange torch coral. I like the wavy effect that it adds to the tank.

Some days one of my favorites is a huge GSP rock that i have just because its a very relaxing effect that i t adds to the tank IMO

I have my eye on alot of SPS that i am a big fan of. I have a green acro that hasnt colored up yet, and a ORA hawkins that is really small - but i think that one will be my fav once it start growing....

5. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

I do have to trim my GSP rock every few weeks to keep it in its place. That is alot easier for me and my 18inch tank than it would be for you to put on your scuba gear and get in your tank to trim it ;D

6. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

woops. Sorry about that. I read too many threads yesterday ;D

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Great minds think alike aye? :D

10. Snappy

Snappy Plankton

They're all my favorites

[​IMG]

11. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I will say that since starting my tank almost a year ago, I have bought 2 things I regretted:

Xenia, which thankfully didn't make it - I think the pygmy angle picked it to death.

Pink palys - which multiplied WAY too fast.

As far as the GSP covered tank in the tank, once it becomes encrusted and comes close to spreading on the rock, it goes in the mantis tank!

I have to admit - I love zoanthids. I generally go for the smaller polyps and varieties that don't spread that fast. I have a mixed colony that has grown together actually started to color morph into something different.

When I first started the tank, a guy we know kept trying to dump his kenya and xenia on me. I asked him why and he said it was growing everywhere and clogging up his pumps and drains......and why do I want this in my tank???

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I agree with this as well.

Now I love my SPS, but some of those big awesome LPS's are nice. acans, micromussa, favia and favites, hammers, bubble coral, scoly's, especially bleeding apple scoly's, are all awesome pieces.