what is wrong with P's clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Peredhil, Jan 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my light period is rather short right now. I had a hard time getting my new sps low enough so I put them in the middle and reduced the hours (light acclimating). The SPS addition was in parallel with the clam addition.

I should probably go ahead and increase this quicker. But I agree, it seems the mantle is a little less out. So not really convinced on the light thing, but not dismissing it either.

I can't say the spots have moved, but today is day 3 of them and there are definitely more.

I have a flametail blenny. As far as I've seen, it's not aware of the clam :-/

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

From my personel experience with my clam, when it I put it up closer to the light it expanded its mantel more, but when I had it further from the light it retracted like it was closer to sundown ready to close up and rest for the night.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Any corals near the clam that might be stinging it?

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

it could be pyramid snails or bristleworms stressing it from the underside too...

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my first thought due to its relationship to the bubble. but it is no less bad on the far side away from the bubble - there isn't any thing behind it but glass and gsp on the glass. I'd say no.

i do have a healthy bristleworm population. also i did the FW dip on the clam (I couldn't find any die off in the FW afterwards either...) so I don't think it's the snails. but i guess it's still possible.

my other snails:
    dwarf cerith
    fl cerith
    dwarf planaxis
    nerites
    nassarius
    +blue legged hermits

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

i don't think any of those snails would mess with anything p.....if i had to guess i would say the bristle worms are a likely culprit. not for certain though

8. Click Here!

9. slocal

slocal Doot!

When I first placed my maxima, he ended up falling off the rocks overnight. I had discovered that I placed him right on top of a hole with a bristle worm on it. It must have stung him on his foot and caused him to move. After relocating him to a different spot, he has anchored happily. I'm guessing the crocea would most likely react the same if his foot was being stung. My maxima's mantle never pinched or discolored as a result.

2 people like this.
  10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

thanks slocal. interesting info

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

well there ya have it....Someone with the experience chimed in!

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

My pleasure P. I hope your clam hangs tough and pulls through.

You did burp it when you placed it in the water right? No air trapped in the gills? Trapped air can really bother a tridacna.

EDIT:

I don't know why it didn't occur to me but I was wondering what kind of lighting the clam was in before you purchased it. The lightening in color might be due to the clam shifting the location of it's zooxanthellae since it's getting more light than it used to. The darker the mantle, the lower the lighting is the usual consensus.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010