Resolved What is wrong with my anemone?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by link248, Jul 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

It had pieces coming off of it. I did what was best for my tank and took it out. That sucks, $65.00 went down the toilet. I won't own another one. Thanks to all that gave advice and shared thier opinions

2. Click Here!

3. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Sorry man thats a bummer... I hate loosing things. especially when they are expensive.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sorry to hear about your loss...

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I did read your entire post. If you're not trying to be "mean", then what are you attempting to prove with this statement? I understand that you are upset over your loss, however, there is no excuse to be rude.

If your tank was fully cycled, you would not have detectable ammonia, period. Even with a decaying animal, there should be enough nitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia... in a mature, cycled tank, you would not have this problem.

It's obvious to me that you don't want help, because I offered several bits of advice in my post, none of which you seem to want to listen to.

I don't know how long you have had this tank or have been in this hobby, which is why I asked. You seem to be making beginner mistakes (we all probably have at some point so there is nothing to be ashamed of). If you have questions, ask. If you want help, don't make rude comments, because I'm here to help you. I've been reefing for 10+ years and while I've still got much to learn, I think I've learned a thing or two over the years and am willing to share it.

There are a lot of beginners on this site lately, and I've seen a lot of misinformation being offered, which is unfortunate....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I think any time there is something that is dying that is that large can cause a detectable amount of ammonia. When you have a tank that is cycled there is an amount of bacteria to deal with the average amount of waste and stuff is something that large starts dying the tank wont bevready to handle it and ammonia and nitrite will spike up. Its the same reason you don't go out and add 15 fish at once. A tank is never "fully" cycled. It will always be adapting to what's in it. At least that's my opinion.

And sorry about your loss I have been there losing an animal I just spent a lot of money on for no apparent reason it sux.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  7. gabbagabbawill

I understand why you would have this opinion, but a mature tank can handle the bioload of a dying anemone for a day or two. I asked how long the OP poster had the tank, which he did not put in his post. This would give some clues as to how mature the tank is.

BTW, what came first the ammonia or the anemone dying? It's anyone's guess since we don't have complete information, including how long the tank has been set up, but IME, nems aren't that fragile given good tank conditions to live in.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

A mature tank does not stockpile bacteria. The ammount of bacteria coresponds with the amount of "food" present in the aquarium. So actually the first day or two would be the most dangerous until the bacteria multiply in sufficient numbers to handle the greater bioload.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Furthermore, you need to re-read the original post before you dig this hole any deeper. He clearly stated that the tank has been running for 6 months since he moved from a 29g to a 40b.

1 person likes this.
  11. gabbagabbawill

First, the anemone has to die, then it begins to decay, then it turns into ammonia, which is converted by nitrifying bacteria. Ammonia spikes are known to be more common in newly set up tanks, however, mature tanks seem to be able to handle bioloads more readily.

12. gabbagabbawill

Before you add fuel to the fire, if you go back and re-read the post, you'll find this at the bottom of it:

"Last edited by link248; Today at 05:31 PM."

;)