Resolved What is this?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Joe Blow, Feb 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Astrea Snail

So it likely came on the new Zoanthid I added yesterday? If that's the case should I be upset with the LFS? Well I bought everything i got in this tank from the same LFS, so should I not shop there anymore or should i expect this LFS will take care of the problem? Not exactly sure where to go from here. They LFS will be open tomorrow so I'll get some dip, but man this really bothers me.

2. Click Here!

3. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

Yes and no. your LFS should dip everything it gets or most things.. but LFS typically get all their stuff in the same dayish so they can be overwhelmed by inventory, ect.. I usually dip my LPS b4 putting into my tank, similarly you should never add the water from your LFS even if the water is not medicated as it can contain stuff you dont want.
    Tell your store what happened but always act on side of caution when adding new stuff to tank.

4. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Never trust any souce of livestock. Always dip and/or QT before adding to your display tank. You may get by for years without getting anything bad, but eventually your luck will wear out. No way to predict how long your good luck will last. Sorry to hear your's didn't last long.

I would check every zoa carfully for other nudis and their eggs.

Jack

5. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Astrea Snail

Anybody have a real good pic of the eggs? I have a couple green bubble lookin things on the piece I just got.They look almost like an algae though.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

For sure, let them know so they can start doing dips. When I had my shop, I had a QT facility bigger than most fish stores. I dipped all corals and I QT'd them before taking them to the store. In spite of this, on occasion, a coral pest would STILL make it through all the way to the shop. This is a customers responsibility, not your stores IMO.

Here's one cool nudibranch that made it through and I thought it was kind of pretty. I needed Bill Rudman from the Sea Slug Forum to ID them for me. I kept them for numerous months because I liked them but eventually I had to let business take over so I stopped giving them new corals (i.e. INVENTORY) to eat and they eventually starved. The orange and red frilly things are the nudibranch's and the skeletons are the corals they ate.

The Sea Slug Forum - Phestilla melanobrachia

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Right under the penny picture http://www.3reef.com/forums/452167-post8.html

8. Click Here!

9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

Only egg lookin things I can find on any of the Zoanthids. So apparently it was just a single nudibranch. I'll still get some dip and dip them though. Does the dip kill eggs as well?

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

that looks alot like bubble algea. does it have a hard shell? I got some on my first frag i ever bought and there is still some in my tank 5-6 years later

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's blurry but it looks like Ventricaria or Valonia (green bubble algae).

Dips do NOT kill eggs. You have to watch your zoanthids for signs of polyps not opening. That's an indicator that they've hatched and are now eating your colonies. You need to do another dip then. If you can find the eggs (which usually requires a magnifying glass) you can scrape them off.

12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Astrea Snail

Yea ok that's bubble algae. I'll remove all of it that I can and hope for the best on that. I'll dip everything and then wait and dip again. How long should I wait between dipping to ensure I got them all?

And hey I wanted to say YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D