What is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Grant, Jan 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

cyano doesnt really kill anything.. or at least it never really harmed anything when i had it.

this is a problem very common in this hobby. usually gets fixed by it self but you can reduce the lights and increase the flow a little bit on the sand. or get a CUC from reefcleaners.org

2. Click Here!

3. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

any thoughts of getting rid of it? and keeping it out? that search seems to give many different answers.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I had it pretty bad. It's totally gone now. Here's what I did. I increased the water flow in my tank by adding a power head, and aimed it at the area where the cyano was going crazy. I decreased feedings and light time. I also made sure I did weekly water changes and I added SeaChem Purigen filter media to my HOB filter. Took about a month, but it finally cleared up and hasn't come back since!

Oh, also when doing the water changes, I pulled out as much cyano as I could.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

+1 to what KC said.. Ive had it bad and nothing died.. Atleast its early and you can suck it out and do some maintenace before it goes crazy

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yes, it didn't do any harm to my tank inhabitants either. Just looked ugly.