What is this?[PICTURES ADDED]

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Seano Hermano, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It's definitely not a "dusting". More like a coating, almost like orange-brown coraline.(I don't think it's that though)

I do you tap... I haven't had any problems in 2 years until just recently. Why now? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. novahobbies

novahobbies Astrea Snail

Agreed. I've noticed this too when putting new pieces of dry rock in my established 110g tank. The new rock will get a dusting of brown diatom algae that lasts for a week or so as any surface water soluble silicates are used up, and then they disappear and regular colonization can begin. Most varieties of dry rock have SOME sort of silica bound up in them. Like Amcarrig said - diatoms never really go away, they just die down to barely noticeable levels in most aquariums when the food source is gone.

4. Seano Hermano

ok. I'll try again to get another picture.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Water treatment facilities add/remove stuff from the water supply all the time (I think). Is there any reason why you're not using RO water?

6. Seano Hermano

To tell you the truth, it's simply because I haven't bought one. I know I should have one, & will soon.

When I started the hobby two years ago I really didn't have money for it(probably shouln't have started the hobby the time I did) & thought an RODI unit would "cost too much". Yes, being more experienced now , I know I should have it.

7. Seano Hermano

:( I'm not sure what this "brown stuff" is, but I now also have a cayano outbreak, as I have been having some troubles with water quality lately.

I found the pictures off my sd card, finally.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Finally....I had to upload to photobucket, but should be working now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. Seano Hermano

Brown spots are gone. Must have been diatoms...My cyano is getting worse though. I have to manually remove it don't I? My tank being next to a window isn't helping out too much.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  11. Tykimeister

Tykimeister Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nothing a couple turbo snails cant fix. I think your rock looks fine and normal. Green algea such as that is signs of a healthy tank. I used the same type of rock when I started my 90G. Not sure what its called but it was base rock as well. I use tap water, and I haven't had any algae problems lately. But I do have quite a few snails eating it as it appears.

12. Seano Hermano

Thanks, Ty. I'll get some snails this week, if I can get to my fish store. Maybe an order form RC.