what is this? i need some help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by grinder37, Jan 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I have this encrusting red stuff that is baffling me,I know the first thoughts will be cyano or maroon colored coralline,but it's not.

It is slippery to the touch,but has to be scraped off,the it breaks off in little chips or flakes.I have a little cyano left in my tank but this isn't it.And the reason I do not believe it is coralline is this stuff has plowed over some zoa colonies completly engulfing them,other are not doing so well,it also took out a couple kenyas (no big deal there) but it's also starting to collect on a couple leathers and now they're upset (but looking better today),but i don't believe it's coralline as coralling doesn't grow on living tissue.

So i'm at a loss,can anybody help me figure this out? :confused:

Params are all good,with barely detectable phosphates (hence my cyano) and 0 trates

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I am thinking it is something similar to cyano since it is growing over coral. If you can siphon it off then I would think it is a kind of cyano possibly. Weird stuff. Does it disappear only to reappear after the lights come back on?

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Appears to be an encrusting species of sponge. Typically they use calcium for their skeleton; they're also considered aggressive as they don't care what they grow over.

5. grinder37

Thanks for replying John,but no,it's hard like coralline and has to be scraped with something.And with a little "common" cyano in the tank,you can visibly see the difference.This is encrusting vs. a "coating" that you normally will see with cyano.Turkey baster or siphon hose,even a toothbrush won't budge it.

And please don't tell my wife that i used her toothbrush :)

1 person likes this.
  6. grinder37

Hmmm,possibly,it is calcified.But i hope not,would a uv at this time be any help?

7. Mr. Bill

A UV filter? No. In fact, that is the only sponge known to grow on rocky shorelines and in tidepools where they are exposed to full sunlight. They do, however, have one predator- the ringed nudibranch, although I would be reluctant to suggest one. Physical removal may be your best option.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

LMFAO :LolLolLol

1 person likes this.
  10. grinder37

Not what i wanted to hear Mr.Bill,lol,but i just did some quick reading and googled several pages of calified encrusting sponges and the one thing that really stood out to me is most all of these sponges will make a formation of some type,none of the several hundred pics i glanced at resembled this stuff.So thats still leaving me wondering.

11. Mr. Bill

1 person likes this.