What is this creature???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by w000p, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Lmao ( As i said before ) CAUTION ! watch your hands !
    Oh and by the way they can move quite fast ( lunging forward ).

I hate to say it.. but if you know "where he is" and you have exausted ways to remove him.
    ( aside from removing most or all the rock to corner him )

I have seen them "dispatached" with scissors . >

Lure him out with tongs (with food in them) with one hand...
    In the other hand scissors above hole that hes in, once he comes out, SNIP !
    END OF THE TANK MONSTER ! LOL
    ( I would rather see the poor devil taken out intact and given to some one that wants him as a pet )

Lmao , I bet it's almost comical to watch you try to capture him and you jumping about with tongs and banging your elbows on the tank corner.
    LOL ( sorry )

2. Click Here!

3. w000p

w000p Astrea Snail

4. w000p

w000p Astrea Snail

yes.... my friends were here yesterday and I was screaming like a girl.. this little beast really is the devil!!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: :lol: My advice to you is to not stress over it so much. Just keep trying with the trap and wait it out.

6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Um' perhaps carrig, you could find him that post that ( I cannot remember the person on 3reef ) that made a trap out of a simple little clear plastic pet carrier that had the door on it..
    They laid it upun the sand bed on it's side and tied a string to it....ran the string up to top of tank, etc.

Cant find post any where but thats a great idea and perhaps the more safe rout for woop's hands and the mantis.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Don't remember that post to be honest. I'm pretty sure that woop is already using a trap. Not sure what kind though.

8. Click Here!

9. w000p

w000p Astrea Snail

I have the x-terminator....just saw the sucker just now.. I placed trap just below the rock its in. It's eyeing the bait so bad... but not going for it...

10. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

If your unable to get him during the day light hours of the tank.
    ( i'm sure there's a favorite spot or area he likes already about your tank he calls home )
    Put the the trap in near these spots he's hanging out in and wait over night, he'll come out during the night. ( he'll get hungry eventualy )

He's already "aware" of you (somethings after him) so it knows and it's very jittery right now.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

OMG

I'm pretty much the mantis trapper for the St. Louis area. Know how I catch them? I put meaty foods in my hand and chase away fish and hermits with a stick. I put my hand near their den and hold it motionless. When I feel movement on my fingers, I just close my hand.

Funny story.....one of my buddies broke an expensive coffee table over a 2 inch N wennerae. ;D I nabbed it, pulled it out and he was so afraid of the little guy he tried to back up real quick and killed the coffee table. I can confirm that hitchhiking mantis can kill coffee tables, but I've been keeping them for years and have never lost a fish.

1 person likes this.
  12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam