What is this creature???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by w000p, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

they are indeed a p.i.t.a. and will kill almost every fish you put in there with them, some say it can't break the glass in the tank...lol but I have my doubts!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Listen.......

Apples and oranges here people.

Are there species of stomatopods that can break your glass? Yes. What is the likelihood of you getting one.....virtually nill.....and trust me, you'll see it unless you are importing 300 pound rocks.

I mean this is the equivalent of being afraid of a kitten because a lion can kill.

It's based on Newtonian Physics. Force = Mass X Acceleration. Well, all species of mantis have the acceleration thing down pat but if they don't have sufficient mass, force obviously goes down.

There are species of mantis that when full grown, are no longer than a dime.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've been keeping them since before most hobbyists had ever even heard of them. I even kept fish with them without a single loss in all of these years. My latest Peacock (who died about a month ago :cry: was famous in St. Louis). He was pictured in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the St. Louis Business Journal, and the City of Maryland Heights Business of the month article.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

cool! i cant believe you have one! If i was you tho, i would be taking it out

1 person likes this.
  6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its the underwater grim reaper

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Totally agree above posts.

But when their are some speicies than can grow sevral inches long.
    ( The bigger the badder )

Mantis shrimp are "hunter killer subs" of the reef , Ive often seen them availible in some LFS stores ( They look back at you lol ) It would seem their eye sight is VERY good and their tolrence for enquizitive people are not very much liked.

I wouldint dare keep any in a reef set up, especialy a glass tank and would only keep them in a tank by their selves.

If you have one ( and theres lots of LR in the tank ) I would suggest in using extreme caution, as those two little "clubs" they have can inflict some heavy damage to your hands/fingers.

Better to know where those little nasty beasts are when doing work inside the tank.
    ( AND THEY WILL GO ON THE OFFENSIVE AND ATTACK YOU )

But I will say they are very pretty and fun to watch.
    If he's in your reef tank with other small fish and your clean up crew will perish.
    Larger manits shrimp can take out a nice sized fish with one "POW" with one of their clubs.
    And snails of any sort have no deffence against a mantis shrimp thats hungry.
    ITS a purely a HUNTER and very capible and very clever and will "bust a cap" in it's targeted prey/intruder.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Agreed. Not sure where they get the bad rap of being fish eaters. Before it died, my unidentified mantis shrimp (Fluffy) was kept in a nano tank for over a year with a very small percula clown fish. The fish lives on.

Also, the "myth" about them being able to crack glass came as a result of some experiments that were done with a very large mantis shrimp and a very thin piece of glass. The mantis (a large peacock I believe) did crack the glass but if that glass was more than 2mms thick, I'd be surprised.

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I've kept one in my office "reject tank". It was housed with a lemon damsel that was never bothered. Snails/crabs were a different story. It actually ate pellet food. Definitely needs to be yanked out of main and given a new "mantis" home.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Mine ate frozen and freeze dried krill but I also fed it snails from time to time to keep its clubs in good working order.

If you don't mind losing a few snails/crabs here and there, I don't see any reason to tear up your reef to get it out. If it's easy to get out then by all means go for it but there's no need for drastic measures :)

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I didn't read this! they lived in my 30g fowlr when I lived in PR and the came in the LR that I collected, trust me they are a nuisance and will kill fish, the are predators and SW hobbyist
    do not fool with them, that some lfs carry them? it's only money! and the hobby is your problem, their's is to make money!