What is this algea?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by szogun, Apr 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

Hi all I have recently got about 30lb of LR from a friend which was getting rid of his old tank the LR was fully cured she had it for over 5 years although, it was all covered in brown slime as well as green algae.
    Before putting it in my tank I have scraped it all of. Now I'm getting little air bubbles on the rock right after the lights go of does that mean I will probably get the algae bloom?

One more thing I have a yellow gorgonian and I noticed a kind of white film on it and now I noticed tiny little bubbles on it what kind of algae is it? Is there a white one?

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

it sounds like you might have cyano bacteria (slime alge). you can get rid of it but it will come back the next day its a real pain to get rid of. there are some checmimals that will get rid of that. or you can do it the hard way like i did.

things that affect cyano would be
    1. hi nitrates - over feeding, over stocking

2. old lighting- over time lights change spectrum and a lower spectrum will actually feed alge

3. low water flow - make sure you have proper water flow cyano loves low circulated alges or places where xcess food or detruis will collect

4 hi phophates or sillicatates

one thing that helped was i kept cleaning it with a turkey baster, added powerheads, started doing smaller mroe frequent water changes and eventually it got rid of it