What is the worst thing your lfs has done?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by fish-aholic 94, Dec 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

2. Click Here!

3. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Unfortunately, my LFS is not run very well. I'd say about 60%-70% of all the fish in the store are showing signs of Cryptocaryon...I would never put anything from that store in my reef without STRICT quarantine. I usually buy online.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thankfully I have really nice LFS up here. There are three I shop from all the time, and all are equally nice. The people are honest and knowledgeable and the livestock is always healthy.

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

The worst thing my lfs does is sell you anything and never ask what kinda setup you have,there nice people,but there in it for the money with no concern about the survival of there livestock.I have to research everything my self ahead of time because they would sell you a grouper for a 10 gal nano no questions asked.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We had a very nice LFS here, until the owner fired his main employee to save some money. Then the store practically became a daycare. It's hard to look at the tanks when the owner's and his friend's rug rats are running around the place. Eventually the store closed. But we stopped going there long before it closed down, because as his store because garbage, his competition's store became awesome :) Except now they pretty much have a monopoly on anything saltwater :lol: Because they're the only guys around. But they're good guys, so I'm fine with that :)

7. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Selling me Sun Coral and telling me I only had to feed once per week :). Let me just say I love them but what a pain in the butt to take care of!

8. Click Here!

9. miracle

miracle Astrea Snail

We share the same LFS as Jhawker in Wichita. Every fish that we bought at the LFS he mentioned has died within days. We later found out they will sell the fish the very same day they get them in as well and fail to mention that to you. One time, before we learned our lesson, we bought 2 sifting sand stars and when we got home we realized one wasn't even alive! They like to throw base rock in a tank with poor lighting and sell it to unknowing newbies as "live" rock at a premium price.

On a happy note, every fish we "rescued" from the big chain pet store has lived? Imagine that! When we setup our 200 gallon tank we will be ordering online and at the one other good LFS in town that has great corals. ;D

10. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

1) Selling aiptasia-covered rocks as "coral" for $60+
    2) Selling fish with obvious signs of crypt
    3) Advising people with new tanks and GHA outbreaks to buy a tang to munch on the algae
    4) Telling me that a 90g tank is HUGE and can handle as many tangs as I want

11. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Closed. Other than that..they were great!

12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

ive not had a problem with my LFS'. the only place ive had any issues with was a big-box store that i wont mention because if i do ill prolly get this thread locked like the last one i got locked ;)

the big-box stores tend to be ill advised...