what is the life span of T5's?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by oldfishkeeper, Sep 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Looks like I'm going to LED if it's every six months. I'd be replacing a bulb or two every month on that schedule.. $$$$$

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

My bulbs were between 12 and 18 months old before I sold my tank and the corals were growing very well. Proper nutrient and mineral levels are as important as light quality.

4. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

6 months is way too early. I would change mine every 14+ months or so and have no issues.

5. wooboodoo

wooboodoo Astrea Snail

Well as long as is working for you is great... First signs to change bulbs in my tank are montiporas on on the sand bed. Also if we are talking about the grow and colors...
    Is hard to believe that you're able to keep great yellow color under 18 months old bulbs.
    Here's example of perfectly balanced water parameters and 13x80w T5 bulbs changed every 6 months...
    And no, isn't zeovit tank.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Aqua Euro USA

Aqua Euro USA 3reef Sponsor

Nice looking tank Wooboodoo

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

beautiful tank! you should also check out 2 in 10's tank that unfortunately is no longer with us :(

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

That's your tank?

THIS just made my top 5 list, and no, mine does not make it.

Very Nice to say the least

10. wooboodoo

wooboodoo Astrea Snail

I should be more clear, I posted it as a example and no isn't my tank (I wish) owners name is Krzysztof Tryc from Poland.
    His tanks are inspiration for many people including me.
    Why? He isn't "one season star" like many tanks I sow in my life was great for year or two then... This tank is 7 years old and on the beginning of 2013 he get ride of all huge mother colonies leaving only frags and grow them again...
    He won quart of the year on zeovit forum few years ago since he was running his tank on zeo.
    Current tank filtration is simple as hell, big sump, huge skimmer, biopellet reactor, strong light and tons of bacterias.
    Even with his tips I can't get whatever he does but... patience, regular water changes, feeding and least changes as possible is a key for healthy and colorful sps tank.
    It takes me 2 years to say - ok I know my tank and I know what to do when parameters are going crazy ;)