What is the best way to rid of algae on the glass?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

that's a good idea. and yea it just "looks" bad as it'sj ust all over the glass, and only the glass

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Coral tanks should have at least 10-12 hours of combined light (actinic/daylight type). The film on the glass is normal. Just clean it and accept it as part of the over all maintenence.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ah man my parents are giong to be pissed about having to change the timer, for some reason we are having the hardest time with getting it to work right, lol i'm afraid of telling them that i will probably have to change the timer again lol. And the way that were trying to have the lights set is for the actinics to come on at 3, daylights come on at 4, daylights go off at 9 and actinics go off at 10, for some reason we are just struggling with timers, were on our second one since we couldn't figure out the last one

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, i guess i'm a bit of a neat freak then when it comes to my tank, i try to keepi t spotless as i hate any form of algae, but i guess i can't beat this type of algae except for just scrubbing it off like crazy

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

My mantis tank would probably kill you then. It just won the ugliest tank contest from reef cleaners. ;D

Are you using the same mag float to clean the puffers tank as your reef tank? Could it possibly be a defective one? I don't have any trouble with either of my mag-floats scratching my tank and they take off everything but coralline.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i saw your tank it was pretty bad.

and yea i use the same mag float on my puffers and my reef tank, and it scratches both. My puffers has a huge scratch due to the mag and my reef has a bunch of small ones

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

is it a tar like brown cyano? (tar like to the feel? or slick?)

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

it almost has a texture to it, so i guess maybe tar like? it's not really smooth and doesn't come off easily, i'm thinking if it were cyano it would just wipe right off with my finger. And it's just on the glass, no where else, i got myself a razor blade to try to get off as much as i can, it's going to take me a while because theres just so much. The ceriths love this but there little mouths don't really do anything, although i can see where they have eaten away in some areas

i also think it's the same algae that's on my powerhead, and inside the the protection cup around the inttake of my skimmer, but it's not on the sand or the rocks. I still don't think it's diatoms because i haven't added anything new, although once xmas i will be getting rid of my current powerheads and my new vortech will take there place, so that may give the diatoms an excuess to come back

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i scrubbed the glass today with a razor blade and i still couldnt get all of this stuff to come off i got some of it, but not much.

Whatever this algae is, its sucks

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

i usually use a mag float and or toothbrush for manual cleaning