What is the best food for corals?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ralphj, Aug 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail

So every 3 days you pretty much feed everything by turning off the filter, leaving the circulation on, and dumping lets say brine and reef-roids in the water? Just trying to clarify myself :)

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, if I am busy though I do not turn off the pumps, always afraid I will get distracted and forget.

Feeding 2 fish is easy and fast, feeding the corals takes a little longer. By feeding every 3 days I reduce the chances of a decline in water quality.

If you have young fish like Clowns or other fish requiring frequent feedings I do not suggest waiting 3 days in between feedings. My fish are old and my tank established so the fish can dine on pods and such between feedings.

:)

4. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

There is also a lot of discussion lately with Amino Acid supplements, especially in ULNS systems. I'm not sure which side of the fence I fall into on that debate yet. And, I'm not sure if you want to consider that a feeding or supplement.

The above being said, the few systems I've seen that religiously adhere to the ZEOVIT system, for example, wherein amino acids are a key component/supplement, have at least peaked my interest.

So I'm not saying one way or another (yup I'm a fence sitter), but if you haven't already looked into amino acids (Reef Roids, ZEOVIT, Red Sea has some now too), it may be something you want to look into a bit more.