what is the best chiller to buy ?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by chris003, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris003

chris003 Astrea Snail

hi, everybody. I have 180 gal. reef with 3 250w mh. with 3 actinic vho,s My temps run to high 83-85 . I want to buy chiller rated for 300 gals or so . dont want it running all the time. And also dont want to waste money on something i dont like. I figure with all of you in here. everybody have tried them all. thanks chris .

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Why did you post this in ASAP--This is for emergencies---Kinda like 911

4. chris003

chris003 Astrea Snail

didnt see any where else to put it!

temps are 86 , that is a emergency to me . I looked for a correct location . didnt see one , but iam new at this .

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Go to forums--enter the forum--then choose new thread. we all learned the same way--dont worry about it

6. chris003

chris003 Astrea Snail

thank you , still newbie

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

8. Click Here!

9. accentstencil

accentstencil Bristle Worm

I did a lot of research into chillers and found that TECO chillers are supposed to very good but expensive. Being out of my price range I bought and Aqua One ( I think it is an Australian brand). Although it was the cheapest chiller I could find it seems to be working quite well. It comes on for an hour or two when necessary several times a day in summer, keeping my tank at the correct temperature.

10. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

TradeWinds Chillers are very well thought of. I'm not running one myself but as I've searched reviews they seem to continually come out on top. One comment that I've seen is that TECO chillers have an emphasis on being quiet (at the expense of less efficiency in demanding environments). If the tank is in your bedroom, you might look hard at TECO, otherwise TradeWinds.

I think that Otty is running a TradeWinds Chiller on his tank and I'm sure there are many others here who can chime in.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I like the JBL articia series good solid chillers with very accurate controls . A 180 I'd get a 1/3 Hp at least.

12. chris003

chris003 Astrea Snail

thanks for your input guys. tangster that is the one I ,ve looked at the most . I was thinking 1/3 also. thanks again everyone , chris003