what is basically relation between calcium,magnesium,ph,alkaline and iodine?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nybatu, May 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I readally agree with you on this
    ( honestly the only reason why i think i see success in using iodine or some others do, is simply do to the large tank volume i have and the water changes i perform).
    I how ever do NOT recomend the use of it on a small/nano tank.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Not typing you dork. ;D I'm laughing so hard. I needed one. Thanks bud.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Come on now, you're good with computers, you can do it!

LMAO

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Ahh' i was gonna place bets.
    Inwall , Geek tells me the "sun rises and sets" in your "you know what"
    when it comes to Reefing.
    You beleave Not useing Iodine at all ?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I PERSONALLY don't do it.

I'm not saying there aren't a few circumstances where it could be beneficial. However, for pretty much most reefers, this is not a concern. If you don't have algae problems, it's because you are doing the other things correctly.....it has nothing whatsoever to do with your Iodine levels.

I'm curious. I've used so many different names over the years that I can't keep track of them. When Tangster answers one of your questions, do you know who you are speaking with?

1 person likes this.
  7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry, but Tangster got rid of all of the bryopsis using the methods I mentioned in our 180 thread.

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Well tangster really don't ansewer any of my questions that i'm aware of.
    ( He seems to avoid my rebutles/argument' and then americraig seems to come in after him )
    I bealeave that his name is *Roger*, Americraig's Hubby correct ?, Thats about all i know of "him/her" aside from our great debating we seem to have over reefing in general.
    I beleave the person called inwall is Kurt ? that geekafied (brian) speaks so highly of.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I don't debate. I try to avoid confrontation and arguments. I don't write well enough to type a debate and or rebuttal and I really don't have the time to debate nor care to . A debate is an educated argument and I worked as a hard hat all my life with hard heads and hired the smart guys in the office to do the contract debating and a Lawyer for the Rebuttals. Then that having been said I'm not a Jr. chemist wanna be either. I never cut and paste or link to what someone else thinks they know about it if what they do works for them hey have at it. What works for myself works well and has for more years then many of the people being quoted have been living let alone keeping marines systems.

I get about a 100 P/M a day and more personal e/m from people who have had more problems then a few. All from reading what they paid for in Books that came from the so called smart guys of today's aquarium hobby and I simply show or help them how to correct the issue at hand and it works. The word gets around then more come. But sooner or later someone comes in with his/her newest new book and search button in hand to try and get me fired up and or disprove me. Won't work My own children could not get me fired up nor will anyone else's child . As for disproving me ? I could care less hell I've made more real world expensive mistakes then I care or dare to remember.

Education costs I paid for mine I just pass on what I know for fact what works has worked and will work. If I did not know that what I was saying was not doable I'd just keep quiet.. As a Kid working with my G/Father as a 10 yr old under the house plumbers helper He once told me when I interjected some stupid advice one "Boy its best to sometimes just stand there quietly and keep your mouth shut and just look like a Dumb A$$ then it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I try to live by that lesson its kept me alive and well for 58 yrs now. And My sons now say Pop older we get the smarter you seem ???

So, in a nutshell, if you want to follow my advice, go for it. If you don't, don't. Matters not to me. I'm just trying to help and save people money.

2 people like this.
  11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I have no desire to "question" the man, I only seek to question practices/purposes, And how I might be just as successful with any certain practice thats offered.

As far as education go's I think we've all paid for that and I myself pass on what I know works very well with long term success.
    With that said some educators are out dated and might their selves go back to school and reevaluate what they have learned and deemed appropriate for a potential follower.

Now if any certain person wishes to take in /follow my advice or any one elses,that's simply their choice.
    I my self am trying to be productive and save a few reef keepers time and money, and perhaps give a person a new idea.
    I'm sure every one would agree that in this hobby,it's a never ending learning experience.

So in a nutshell, if you your self care to follow my advice I'm more than willing to help you or any one else.
    And furthermore believe the "proof is in the pudding" as it were.

PS:
    I myself do have a few that i readally take advice from , there's too much for one person to know.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  12. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Flamingo Tongue

How many of those 1-- PM's/emails do I account for Tangster? 20-30?