What is Aged water?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by TinFury, Nov 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

What exactly is aged water? I know it's like cycled water but what exactly do you mean by aged water? Like does aged water have some chemical properties, or bacteria or something?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't have a clue what aged water is. Brand new artificial saltwater is quite caustic and that's why people aerate with an airstone or powerhead overnight before a waterchange. I suspect that's what aged means.

The chemical properties do change....Ammonia is offgassed, Oxygen is increased, CO2 is offgassed.

There's very little bacteria in our water. They live in biofilms on the surfaces of our LR, LS, Bioballs, tank walls, filter media, etc.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What In wall said :) You can look at a tank and see and smell if the water is new and what i call raw new un-aged . As for the bacteria they live on and in that slime slippery feeling stuff that is more noticeable to the touch when its on the glass and piping that is submerged in the water.

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Isn't aged water just fresh (tap?) water left at room temperature for 24 - 48 hours so some chems. can evap before using it? I think i've heard that term before. Maybe someone can figure it out with more details, why do you ask?

Marc.

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

The term "aged water" was brought up on another post by Tangster in regards to a question by TinFury about how much water is safe to remove when doing a water change.

Here's the post:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general...k-water-change-question-38158.html#post349444

It would seem to me that "aged water" would refer to established water, water that has already cycled. Water that would be proper to introduce livestock into. You know........good stuff kind of water ::)

See how hard it is to properly name ??

Anyway, personally I know what Tangster was refering to and what he tried to convey.

Is anybody confused yet ? ;)

7. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

@ Tangster:
    Didn't mean to step on any toes or answer for you Tangster. Just wanted to give my interpretation of what I took it to mean.