What is a GOOD RELIABLE Thermometer

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NYGiants, Apr 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It always reads what the glass one says, for me anyways on mine.
    It's really kind of cool, it gives a few numbers with different colors on them, lets you know when it's inbetween degress.

It won't say a .X like a digital will, but I feel it's accurate, and I test with glass ones from time to time.

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I had 2 of these. Both were off between 4 to 6 degrees. I use the glass ones that have the suction cup.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Temp is not something like like to play around with. Spend 100 bucks and get a reefkeeper lite. It comes with a temp controller so it will not only tell you the temp but you can plug your heater into it as well.

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

The only thermometer I use right now for my tank is part of my heater. You set it to the temperature you want, and the display shows the temperature the tank is at. My tank is set at 79 and never goes more than a degree away from it!

6. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

Ive always used those cheap digital ones with a probe. They are like 5-6 bucks. Always worked well for me, but they only last a few months.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I picked up another one at WalMart - glass one with the suction cup- for about $1.30 ! It's in my overflow and reads what the sticker one on the outside says.

Someone above posted - just get the $100 ..... (oh, I re- read the post- from Daniel- have you checked your ReefKeeper lite- against a real thermometer?)
    I ain't spending that on my thermometer! I'm glad you can, and do though- liberty.

Some else above said they use what's on the heater.- Not a great way, unless that's also accurate. Check it with a real thermometer first.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

FWIW, I've always used the floating glass ones and they seem to be pretty accurate ime