what is a good brand name for nanos?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by footballdude2k3, Apr 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

HaHaHa...biggest expense? --- How much is your time worth to you?

;)

2. Click Here!

3. footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3 Bristle Worm

honestly i have nooo problem putting time into this, this is something that is more than worth my time, i have time, and i have some money to put towards this, i just want to know about how much it would cost per month, i do not know what i need to buy aside from tests and salt for water changes, i have wanted a tank for soooo long, i and very excited to have this to spend time on :)

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you use the 24 as is P/C lighting and with a decient 100 watt heater depending on your K.W Hr. charge I'd guess its like 30.00 a month to run and operate the little tank.. Now if you go up to M/H then cha ching the cost goes up and you will need a pic chiller to keep it cooled down..

5. footballdude2k3

really thats it? power doesnt matter, i was just worried with the way that everybody talked that there was a bunch of pricey tests and salt and food that was really expensive. what kind of lights would you guys say work best? i want to get something so that i am not limited to what i can have in the tank, also to correct myself im looking that the 29 not a 24, not that there is too much difference

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

O.K the way I set them up is a totally different method then most guys use.

I use dry aragonite 30.ct a pound about 20 to 25 lbs in the 24
    test kits are Ca. 15.00 DKH 15.00 Magnesium 20.00
    Salt for that a box is like 15.00 or so for a 50 gal mix
    I use all dead base rock enough for that 50.00 with shipping
    you have to use filtered water to fill it I like the Kold Sterile units you can buy water from a LFS also fresh and salted as a rule all LFS sell it by the gallon . I bring my systems along slow with a single damsel to cycle and I never test all the Nitrates and Nitrites and ammonia way i cycle system they do matter . Some just like to play professor and keep on top of them ? Not me a heater 20.00 or so and lighting ?? A single M/H clip on fixture will light it up and the cost vary.. P/M me and I'll get you total prices if you need them but this above is a base to get started cost..

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I have a 24g JBJ and love it, When I was looking into the nano's alot of the bad stuff I read was on the Oceanics and a LFS here had a 29g on display that leaked around the bottom seal

They all have crappy pumps and so-so lighting unless you go with a red sea max that is

8. Click Here!

9. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I have a bio cube and think it needs alot of mods to make it work well. For the time u would invest modifying a bio cube or any nano tank for that matter u could drill out a 20gal to add a overflow box & sump (tons of equipment & out of the way) and be able to add any lighting u want as your needs change.

10. footballdude2k3

ok im not comfortable drilling it out though.....i would prefer to buy a tank that is set and i do not have to drill, i would not mind putting everything else together, i just do not feel comfortable drilling glass

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Not sure about the biocube but I'm pretty sure the backs of most nano's is just a heavy duty ABS plastic... Basically the tank 1 peice and has a plastic filtration rig built onto the back so if you wanted to drill it'd just be through the plastic, then just get a bulkhead fitting with good O-rings and your set, I may end up doing this with my 24g just to make adding chemicals easier + Then i could toss on a mag5 or something for a return and ditch the PH inside the tank and you can setup a small fuge in the sump as well IF you were to have any nitrate issues. So far on mine they've been 0 nearly 100% of the time post-cycle

12. footballdude2k3

the other part about drilling and having a multiple tank set up is that its something that i do not have the room for right now, which was something that i was looking forward to having a nano