What is a fuge and how do I make one?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Xx_Reptile_xX, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xx_Reptile_xX

Xx_Reptile_xX Plankton

So I feel the need to make a refugium for my 75 gal and exactly what is it? is it some kind of bio-filter? how do I make one? sort of clueless. kind of weird consideruing ive been in the hobby for 5 years but not to suprising cuz im only 12.:-[

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

12!!! that means you started when you were...7!!!! I wish i started when i was 7!!! gosh, where have the years gone!?

Anyways...heres a good article explaining refugiums. Basically a fuge is a separate tank that is connected to your display tank where you grow beneficial algae to take up nutrients and what-not, keeping them away from your display tank. Hope this helps!
    keep it the work little bro!!:)

4. Xx_Reptile_xX

Xx_Reptile_xX Plankton

lol well I started doing it myself about 2 years ago, before I had some help from my dad. thanks for the site, though. And a fellow new yorker at that!

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

awesome kiddo, where in ny!?

6. Xx_Reptile_xX

Xx_Reptile_xX Plankton

middletown but thats all ill tell ya. you could be stalker *shiver*.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

To elaborate on ermano's post a refugium can be as simple as another tank or even a HOB system like the ones CPR make. Until I took my 75 down 2 days ago I had a 29 gal tank in the stand under the DT. I had a plenum(void-anoxic water) and a DSB. I also crammed as much grape caulerpa in there as possible, for you advanced guys who are thinking why not chaeto(chaetomorpha) I needed to feed the caulerpa to my ravenous tangs. The DSB, plenum and macroalgae did a great job of using my NH3,NO2,NO3 and PO4. I ran a 2 bulb T12 with a 6700k and an actinic(I had extra actinics...) which was I believe 40 watts total. I ran my lights on a reverse cycle(opposite of DT) to help balance the pH among other reasons. Some people even use the clamp on spot lights or even MH bulbs but whatever you use make sure its strong enough to grow the algae. Another added benefit of a 'fuge is the constant zooplankton that is made in the form of copepods, amphipods, larvae from worms and so on that are a food for fish and coral. I credit my 'fuge for the strombus maculatus explosion that I had. In short I would use the largest size tank you can, get a pump, and an overflow box, some tubing or PVC and have fun.

Good Luck

8. Click Here!

9. Xx_Reptile_xX

Xx_Reptile_xX Plankton

agggh! complex words! please break down those abbreviations!

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

NH3-Ammonia
    NO2-Nitrite
    NO3-Nitrate
    DSB-deep sand bed
    PO4-phosphate
    DT-Display tank
    Hope that helps! :)