what is a chalice?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Peredhil, May 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

It's hard, but no I don't tell my customers that. An Acan came in yesterday that was purple and neon green. I wanted it SO bad, but it was sold before we closed for the day. If I custom order something just for myself, I can have it when it comes in but I have to order two so if someone sees it they can buy one too. I typically like corals that others don't, like Blue Ridge corals, and Fox Corals, but that Acan was HARD to watch walk out.

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I love Fox Corals they are seriously beautiful...I would have a hard time working where you work....I would take all the Acans home with me....
    Danny

4. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Yeah, and we sell them for about 60 dollars. Some of the ones we get have 10 or 12 heads and they're still $60. I'm waiting for the "perfect" one! Maybe Sunday I'll order 3 and say one is for me so I can have it....

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

[​IMG]

This is an older pic, as far as how they grow, if I were to put one (1" frag) on this rock with the 4 holes, would it tend to grow over and close off these holes or would it kind of go around it?

I know in years and years I'm sure it would fill it all up... I'm asking more within the next 2-3 years.

I think it would be cool for it to grow around this rock, but I don't want to end up closing off my holes in short order.

What do you think?

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

It will grow over the holes although they don't thoroughly encrust all the time I think depending on the piece. They do a lot of "plating" where it sort of follows the countour of the rock and the current of the water so there may be some space underneath the coral but if you want fish etc to be able to swim through the holes the chalice will probably grow over it.

Also FWIW there are more corals than just Pectiniids listed on wetwebmedia that are commonly considered "chalices" such as cyphastrea, leptastrea, echinophora...probably some others too. I think it's more based on growth form than anything personally.

1 person likes this.
  7. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm pretty sure it's 30$. Seems good to me.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yeah, it's 30. I actually shop at vivid aquarium and it's 30 there too. If you get over 225 in livestock, it's free. So I usually wait to buy until there are several I want.