what if....i used a t-shirt?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Swisswiss, Sep 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so i do not own a sieve to catch my rotifers and artemia with and im not 300% comfortable pouring the water from my culture tank directly to my DT. instead of paying 20 bucks plus 50 for shipping to obtain one of these 53 um sieve would an old clean t-shirt work?

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Better still, look in stores around you for stainless steel permanent coffee filters.
    Even though you would need to have shipped across, an economical filter bag from Brine Shrimp Direct can be shipped fairly cheap as it is light and can be shipped in an envelope.
    The 150 mesh is fine for brine but you need the 250 mesh if you want to culture rotifers.
    Mesh Filter Bag

4. Swisswiss

merci rayjay, didnt think if the stainless steel coffee filters. thats the site i initially went to didnt see they simply sold the mesh.

5. Swisswiss

id have to get in contact with them to see if they can evelope it, otherwise the EMI shipping is 53 dollars....:S for an item that costs 6

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

7. Swisswiss

thx vinny its the rotifers im trying to harvest though

8. Click Here!

9. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

By the way, I don't know if pop bottles (soda) are the same there as here in Canada, but the mesh bags fit inside, with the top of the mesh bag fitting over an inverted pop bottle with the bottom cut out. It makes a good holder for dumping culture through the mesh with ease.

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Just remember than some rotifer catchers only remove the largest of the rotifers, while many fry have need of the smaller sizes, so you want to be sure the sieve size is small enough to suit your purposes.
    Some hobbyists go to the trouble to selectively breed smaller sizes to better suit their needs.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 I have used the brine net I have for many years.I believe it is 250 micron which if about the size I harvested.;)

12. Swisswiss

So the t-shirt idea seems to work. What i do is I syphon out 2 liters from the 10 litter culturing tank into a 2 litter bottle using the DIY filter i made, the water on the other end comes out clear with not particles or critters in it. I then add these two liters back to the culture vessel with food and top off the rest with rodi.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379581726.079725.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379581746.151211.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379581771.416215.jpg

Once the two liters siphoned i take the "filter" and let a power head in my dt stream in the opposite direction the siphon went in to release my rotifers and Artemia to my dt..... Whata ya think?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013