What Hermit Crab Is This?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by swagger87, Sep 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Does Anyone know what kind of hermit this is? I've been surfing the web, but i cant find it anywhere! Is it reef safe? The LFS told me it was a Scarlet Leg, but im pretty sure its not.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

def not scarlet hermit, but looks probably reef safe, there a different colored reef safe ones. its is just a normal hermit not the more expensive scarlet one

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

+ 1 looks like a regular hermit, nothing too fancy but you should be happy with him :)

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

just a normal red leg hermit, not a scarlet, scarlets get pretty big, red legs are just about twice the size of blue legs

6. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Oh I am Happy with Them (3). It's just that the little grey things that some suggested may be Coral Polyps have a couple of small chunks missing, i was wondering if the crabs did it. I also have Peppermint shrimp, but I read they're reef safe.

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hmm, they might be decaying. any chance of a pic, and make 100% sure its a peppermint shrimp and not a camel shrimp.

8. Click Here!

9. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Im Pretty Sure the one on the Left is Dead, but the one on the right was looking a little better, getting some color to it The middle was even starting to open up. And yesterday it was fine. I look at it thismorning and its got little chunks missing. Click on the pic to make it bigger.
    [​IMG]

10. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

So Does this look like normal Decay? Or Is something nibbling on it?

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Theres scarlett hermits and theres scarlett reef hermits. Scarlett Reef's are bright red. The one in the pic Ive always seen sold as "assorted" hermits.

There is no such thing as a "Reef Safe" hermit. Where do you think they get their shell? It doesnt matter if you put 1000 shells in there for them. If they want the shell that snail has, it will take it. ALL crabs are omnivores and opportunistic feeders. If they can catch it, they WILL eat it.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

If there is chunks missing, something is eating it. Most likely a fish for there to be chunks taken out. If it was a worm, there wouldnt be a polyp left, if it was crabs or anything else you would see it, they cant get away as quick as fish if you walk up to the tank.

Come to think of it, it very well could be zoa spiders. Cause that one looks like its been drained or squished.