what happens if i nuke(let sit out to dry) my live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Max Chiarella, Apr 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Max Chiarella

Max Chiarella Bristle Worm

im trying to cure aiptasia and given up can i put the rock back in my reef tank without curing what will happen??:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

There will be some die off when you put it back in your tank.

4. Max Chiarella

how long does it take to cure it again?
    and should i spend the money and get peppermint shrimp? they just dont seem to work?

5. leighton1245

Curing Live Rock

If you buy uncured live rock you will have to cure it yourself. You do this by cleaning off all of the visible debris (keep it moist during this time) and then you place the uncured live rock into a saltwater filled container (not your aquarium). You must mix up the saltwater the same as if you were using it in your aquarium. You need to place a heater in the container with the live rock set to about 80°F (27°C) and you will need to use a powerhead to aerate the water and to get the water moving.

The water containing the uncured live rock is likely to have a very foul odor because of the dead or dying reef organisms on it.

You will need to keep changing the water in the container of live rock for 2-3 weeks or until the water no longer smells bad. Before adding the live rock to your aquarium do an ammonia and nitrite test on the water in the live rock container and make sure they both read zero before adding the live rock to your main aquarium.

Curing Live Rock for Your Aquarium

That is what i found so about 2-3weeks I pulled mine out as well soaked the rock in vinegar for a week then scrubbed in with a brand new clean brush soaked it in RO/DI water for a few days then put it back in my tank and had almost no noticeable die off.

6. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

If you want to kill off aiptasia and you already pulled out your rock, why not bleach it. 10% bleach to RO/DI, let it soak. The bleach will kill any organic material on the rock. Rinse it and let it sit outside.

To do it super fast, use 10% Muratic Acid and RO/DI. That will eat a layer of your rock, killing the aiptasia, and remove any PO4's in the rock surface.

I've used both methods and prefer the muratic acid.

7. leighton1245

Where do you find muratic acid?

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Pool or spa supply stores should carry it.

10. fishboyt

fishboyt Bristle Worm

Any pool supply store. Walmart may also have it, but I don't really shop there, so I can't tell you for sure.

11. Max Chiarella

thanks guys ill try the viniger and then let sit out side and then ill cure it again. BUY THE WAY: i bought 5 peppermint shrimp a few days ago they havent done anything. what should i do with those cuz i have a pistol shrimp and i think he'll eat 'em if i put them in my aquarium.