What happened to this coral?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by denMk, Nov 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

I still believe I should do the dip and the quarantine just to be on the safe side. I will DEFINITELY not add any more zoas to my tank until I feel I've figured this out. Thanks!

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You're more than welcome....and yes, you should do the dip.

5. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

Follow-up to coral issue

A week has gone by and I think I've figured this out. The rock the polyps are attached to are actually multiple rocks and they are falling apart. When I got this colony the base they were on was "loose". I figured maybe the rock had been cracked up somewhat. The rock I sat it on is curvy and doesn't support the colony solidly. So I guess current and gravity are doing a number on this rock and it's breaking up and tearing some of the polyps. The top of this mass broke off into two small chunks which I picked up off of the sand and moved to another spot. Here's what happened - two chunks of rock broke off by arrow, then the smaller rocks were moved to a different spot. All polyps look healthy.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i couldnt see any nudi from those pics.

7. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

Nudi-free

It appears there were no nudi's after all. It has now been about a week and a half since my polyps fragged themselves ;D and the original group plus the small frags are all doing well.

So I'm happy to report things are great.