What happened to this coral?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by denMk, Nov 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

If you can, pull it out and look underneath for a small balck and white snail about 1/8" if nothing dip in frsha water (same ph) for about 10 second see if any nudibranch fall off.

2. Click Here!

3. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I had something like this happen to mine about 1 month ago. I had moved my frogspawn to a location close to it. I think the frogspan stung it--moved it to the other side of the tank and it is fine now.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

5. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

OMG I saw this exact same creature on my glass just a few days ago! I've only got 2 rocks with zoas so it would be no problem to either dip them as described and/or put them in their own container for a while to let any others die off. Frankly, I've never heard of this. I'll make some calls to see who has Lugols in stock for my dipping.

Thanks so much!

6. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

is there to much current maybe? pics are not clear i had a softy once that was sick it started turning white like it was melting then started brakeing apart this was years ago before i had a sick tank i took a chance a big one and left him in and he melted away but a small pcs. made it and i've still got it if you have a sick tank i would put him in there for a while

7. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i had bought some star polyops once and they had some nudibranch's on them i thought bonus buy come to find out they only ate star polyops like the Berghia nudi they only eat apitasia hundreds of different kinds and i think 98% of them are bad for your tank

8. Click Here!

9. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

The saga continues

As I stared at the colony last night trying to find signs of a nudi, eggs, anything...the weirdest thing happened. A group of polyps surged up and tossed a rock out of their midst! Now I don't know if gravity loosened a rock that I thought was part of the whole and it finally fell out, or what, but it was bizarre! It looked like they literally pushed the rock off of them. In the void it appeared there were some polyps that were stretched to the side and maybe some dead skin as well. I couldn't get a picture because my camera wouldn't pick up the detail. But I have included some before and after pictures based on previous photos and new ones from today. Looks like the polyps are moving over to fill in the void.

The first photo has the rock circled. I thought it was attached to the whole rock and they just grew around it.

I'll post more photos showing the polyps have kind of risen up and started moving into the void.

[​IMG]

10. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple shots from this morning from some different angles. I then noticed that underneath the rock where there in a small space, I could see another small rock had dropped off from behind. Now I'm wondering if that could be part of the reason for the disappearing polyps? Maybe I didn't see a nudi on the glass but an anthropod (sp) instead???

11. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I can almost guarantee you have zoo eating nudibranchs in the polyps I've highlighted.

You can get Lugol's just about anywhere.....Planet Reef, Beldts, Marine Solutions, Clayton Pet Emporium, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]