What happened to my FrogSpawn?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Feb 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I wasn't saying that you made a mistake nor that the results are wrong. I was just curious as to what are the different ways to illustrate test results. Different test kits have different indicies.

I know for a fact that the dying/decaying tissue is toxic (obviously) but I never knew that a skeleton could be toxic. ::):-/
    Dang, all my tanks must be a toxic, flourishing dump because all of my base rock is dead coral skeletons.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I still had some decaying matter on the stalk so I felt removing it was best at the time. Thanks for the insight though, it's appreciated.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Yeah I agree because the dying tissue is very toxic. skimming would take care of the toxins in the water also running some carbon would help as well in case you were worried about it.

Sometimes when corals are in danger or are dying, they release spores into the water in hopes of propagating themselves.

1 person likes this.
  5. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

When the animal dies, it's extremely rare that it doesn't leave dead, decaying tissue inside its skeleton. Leaving it the DT is certainly not a risk I would take, or recommend to anyone else.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tropical_Supply

Tropical_Supply 3reef Sponsor

I'm sorry to hear about the loss, but it's a good thing you took quick action and got it out. If everything else is unaffected in another week, you probably saved your tank and yourself a lot of trouble :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I do not believe this and I disagree.

I have had my share of coral die-off and I have never ever removed a dead or dying coral.

The skeleton itself is inert. So the point, I believe, is around the decaying tissue and/or what the coral does when it is dying.

I'd need to see something backing this up before I buy into it. As it stands, I believe this to be wrong or overstated (i.e. not a level of toxic that matters).

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

again, same thing. Also, skimming doesn't really do anything for toxins. Carbon, however, will do a great job of removing toxins.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm going to run some carbon for a few days just in case, I am thinking of a burial at sea for the FS, it was the highlight of my tank and I will miss it dearly

11. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

I'm not disputing anyone else's experiences, or denying their right to share them. I'm only saying that personally, I prefer to err on the side of safety when it comes to my tank or making recommendations to others. When the day comes that a dead coral turns your water cloudy and everything else starts to die, you'll understand.

It's for certain that the skeleton itself is inert... the problem is with how much dead tissue is still inside. Stony corals aren't just stuck to the surface like a softy to a rock.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It is being reported in this thread as a fact that dying coral tissue is toxic. I'm disputing that. I do not believe it is.

I'm not saying rhino never had cloudy water, but I hardly equate the two.