What happened to my FrogSpawn?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Feb 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

looks to me like the new spot is too high flow. they like fairly calm water compared to a lot of other corals.

Also, you say your params are "fine" but that's meaningless as far as I am concerned. What are your params and how stable are they?

You mention a bunch of corals that don't really care about how stable your Mg, Alk, and Ca are (like mushrooms, leathers, zoa's etc) and as far as I can tell in this thread, this frogspawn is your only coral with a skeleton. Which means it cares what your Alk and Ca are and if these things are stable or not.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Didn't read this before I posted. I agree. This seems like the likely issue here.

BTW - I have never target fed my frogspawn a single thing and I keep it completely shaded under my T5's - so I'm going to guess your PC's are fine so long as they are <6 months old.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

The FS was in a low current area, has been in the same area since I got it, it was only shifted a few inches to the left but same low current area. I have another FS and two Hammer's that are doing well.

Params are as follows:

PH: 8.0
    AM: 0
    NI: 0
    NA: 10
    ALK: 3.25
    CA: 4.25
    MG: 1200
    PHOS: 0
    Salinity: 1.024

I took the stalk out, it was completely bare this morning, had melted away in the night.

5. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

sorry bout your luck.

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I also have never target fed my two FS and I have them on the floor of the tank also in a completely shaded area and I'm also running PC lights.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

thanks ya'll, I'm hoping this is an isolated thing but will keep watch on everything else. I can totally see how if someone's tank crashes it really deflates your drive to stay in the hobby as you watch the $ and time go down the drain in a day.

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'm curious as to what brand of test kits are you using? I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to water chemestry. the ALK and CA readings seem abnormal. I may be wrong but I've never seen them illustrated like this. I usually see it as CA-400-500mg/L (ppm) and ALK-8-12dKH or 150-215 ppm KH

If your other corals are fine, the only thing it can boil down to is, moving it and the possibility of something eating it.
    Even though you didn't move it much, moving it on the whole can stress the coral somewhat. I know for a fact that they don't like to be moved nor to be touched.

Also, I had a rock with 6 beautiful hairy mushrooms and one by one they started to die off. I moved it from the DT and put it in my frag tank for dead but my urchins spent days and nights cleaning the rock and now I'm left with one healthy shroom. So I came to believe that something was eating it and my urchins took care of it.

Another thing I wanted to add is, you shouldn't have moved the skeleton. I've had one small FS die on me once and I just left the skeleton in there. A couple weeks after, I noticed a small head re-emerging from the skeleton. About 3 months after, it's a pretty nice new FS. Very small but it has potential.

Sorry about your loss:-/

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I brought a water sample to my LFS, which is a very reputable SW dealer and they gave me those test results, I think they were using Salifert kits. I was just writing them down so I might have made a mistake. Ultimately, they said there wasn't an issue with the params so that wasn't the culprit.

Dang, I removed the stalk this morning because I'd read to not leave dying coral in a tank as it would become toxic. It's sitting in a bag in my trash :(

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

You did the right thing- it's a rare occurance that one doesn't become toxic, and a horrible tragedy to the rest of the tank when it does.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Good, I feel better about it now.. still hurts that I spent so much on that thing and it was gone in a day..