What got you started in SW?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by greybeard, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

heres my story, but after what i know now, i kinda feel bad for the first few fish -

found out old flatmate had a fishtank that wasnt being used (about the equivalent of a 30 or 40 breeder). eventually convinced him that we needed to set it up and have some rad fish. had always assumed salt water was wayyy to hard, but apparently he had a clown fish and anem back when he had it running and said it was easy.
    found a LFS that tried to sell me heaps or ridiculous stuff that my mate never needed so decided they were kidding themselves and got the cheapest canister they sort of recommended and loaded up on some damsels and the like about a week later. needless to say, it didnt go well.
    it did however go well enough to get me interested in what went wrong and got me to research it a bit more. got through enough info to work out i couldnt afford the stuff needed to have a real tank :(
    made alot more trips back to the LFS than i did purchases, one trip there i asked about a lionfish and one of the guys threw in a goldfish and was telling me that they are the fastest striking animal going (could be wrong, but sounds cool anyway). pretty sure that was it. i needed a lionfish. he actually fed a few more predator fish which put on a good show, i think the trigger came in a close second to the lion.
    slowly collected a few bits and pieces, but i still dont have that lionfish.
    even tho it crashed at least once, the original tank never got torn down. must have managed to cycle eventually as it did end up housing a clown for about a year or so, even tho i was still under the impression that without a sump and all the other expesive pieces, the gha/cyano jungle he came accustomed to was unavoidable.
    he got moved into a nano when i moved earlier this year, which quickly turned back to his algae jungle. was almost enough to put me off completely, but instead i found my way back to 3reef (the animated .gif in the top corner of the page and slick layout actually did it lol) and almost researched my eyes out :eek: the source of my algae was poor water quality, inadequate filtration and nowhere near enough water changes. this is getting fixed and the nano looks 14million times better already :) (thanks heaps 3reef!)

still have a long way to go, but i think the clown is alot happier now and my 'real' tank is back on track.
    after all the research so far have changed my mind a few times on what i want to keep, atm its going to be reef tank (which keeps growing) after i'm happy with the nano and then a predator tank for a lion and trigger... i think.
    wow, that got long, hope you're still awake lol

2. Click Here!

3. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

ok I admit the mere mention of that 7,000 gallon tank had me daydreaming for a while! LOL

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad people are finding this thread interesting enough to check out and respond to! I wasn't sure I'd get any responses when I started it but this is great!

thanks again!
    GreyBeard

4. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Long? was it? I was so engrossed reading your story I didn't notice!
    Another awesome testimonial to the friendly knowledge packed people here at 3reef for sure!

Glad to hear your tanks are getting in shape and you didn't give up.
    Thanks a heap for sharin mate!
    GreyBeard

5. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

LOL I just noticed this thread has now passed my other thread about what the lfs should have told you when you started on the weeks hot topics! LOL #1 and #2 now. I wasn't sure either of them would get any response with no pretty tank pics to post.

Maybe someone has an old pic of there first tank to share too!?! LOL

6. us13fox

us13fox Feather Duster

I have always had a fascination with anything wild and exotic( wanted to be a biologist for the longest time lol) I have had anything ranging from your everyday goldfish to a Columbian rainbow boa, but always loved walking in to my LFS and stand and stare at the reef tanks they had on display and all the SW fish they had. So after lets say 20 years and by default of a family member moving, I have finally started my first saltwater tank and have enjoyed it so far thanks to all the help from people on this site.

7. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I got into saltwater for 3 major reasons :)
    #1 as a teen I started with 1 freash water and over 4 years had 6 freash water tanks breeding large angle fish and discs - loved it.
    #2 need somthing to help meditate and remove stress of day to day work
    #3 for the challenge and learning.

Now that I have started I have come to appreciate the diversity of life and being able to step back and let things happen.

Con - is the amount of money I have spent so far to do it right. I think I am now working just to support my saltwater habit LOL

8. Click Here!

9. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

Your house has probably been like mine.. snakes lizards parrots/macaw dogs cats every FW fish I can think of and now SW. oh.. forgot all the rodents over the years the kids have had lol.

sounds like SW for you was a culmination (sp?) of all things biological! LOL

Thanks
    GreyBeard
    btw... I have a young female Columbian Rainbow Boa right now LOL

10. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

yup... hear the support group introductions

Hi my name is Grey.... i'm a reefaholic.
    Hiiiiii Greyyyyyy

lol thanks for sharin!

11. us13fox

us13fox Feather Duster

They make a great addition and are just plain beautiful! But yes my house was def a mini zoo well at least my room and the basement for some of the higher humidity guys lol.

12. greybeard

greybeard Skunk Shrimp

So many times I've thought I work for pet food/bedding/supplies LOL

But I have to say it's always been worth it to my family and I... well almost always LOL