What exactly is purigen? Diy chemipure? Phosguard?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nanomania, Mar 31, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You're welcome. :)

2. Click Here!

3. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I agree. Each system is different and each system will need different things.

Thats why I don't use anything besides carbon and floss, I don't need to at this point.
    I don't use a skimmer either, I have an all in one 10g and a 15g. I have a very simple system and it works for me.

nanomania and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Thts awsm.. u growing sps? Is it a mixed reef? Wud u mind sharing pic here? i had gone to singapore and have seen acro farm there and the nitrates were crazy high, yet all the sps were growing like weed. I cudnt believe.

5. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I don't have any sps yet. Its mixed otherwise. I want my tank as stable and balanced as it possibly can be as my magnesium has dropped so it put the plan behind. Grrrr

I had a 55g tank yrs ago and I never ran a sump, fuge, no controllers, no dosing. I did run a skimmer on that tank. I do think that skimming is good on bigger tanks and sumps help make life easier but I prefer all in one tanks. I like minimalist everything:)

After researching and reading, I learned there are sooooo many ways to have a successful tank. Some run no filters, some do no water changes, some have all the bells and whistles, some do everything right and get crap results where as someone else has good ones. Each tank is different. I have 2 with the exact same maintenance, the exact same products used, same type of lighting...i've had a brain dying in my 15g and dropped it into my 10g newly cycled tank....it loved that tank...thank goodness cause its so pretty!

The key is research, plan right from the start, go slow, maintaining a good routine on tank cleaning. Don't do anything without researching it.

Its lessons I learned from all the reef veterans and I go by it. Thanks to all who have helped me because it can get mind boggling sometimes.

nanomania likes this.
  6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

To answer the question, chemically they can be the same and in theory it would work the same, but would you be willing to take the risk to save 10 or 20 dollars?

I use GFO, purigen, a protein skimmer, and a mesh filter sock. The mesh sock obviously doesn't do as much as the micron filter socks, but my skimmer definitely works harder when I use a mesh sock. I am a firm believer that carbon can actually be detrimental to SPS. Every time I've run carbon I've noticed reduced polyp extension and less coloration after a few weeks.

This is just my opinion and what works for my tank. The beautiful thing about the hobby is that there are so many different ways to do it right.

Piano10 likes this.
  7. nanomania

Iv seen sally joes tanks (bullet proof reefs), hightechs like mr. Saltwater tank etc. All have had success. Many have had success with no water changes too. On youtube iv seen skimmerless sps dominated tanks too.. and so on.. so i guess everything is possible if u get things done correctly. I too prefer simple setups..

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Ya, i find purigen to be the beat purchase ever. I use matrix carbon, 1/4th of the recomended dose, mix with phosguard (a bit more than half the recomended dose) change monthly.. purigen takes care of the clarity and carbon takes care of the smell if any.. hopefully im correct.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Phosguard is not something that should be used as a long term removal of phosphates/silicates. It's more for a rapid removal. People only use it in the system for a couple days at most then they pull it out. It's not intended to be used like GFO.

Piano10 likes this.
  11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hmmm... I've been using it for a few years now with no ill effects. The main difference I see is that GFO works best in a reactor, where Phosguard is usually placed in a media net inside a sump or HOB filter.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    nanomania likes this.
  12. nanomania

I asked many who use phosguard, the only thing one needs to know is u need to wash it under ro water first, then use it. Many hobbyist here are using it with success. As of now iv not seen any problem.

Mr. Bill likes this.