What eats cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by 10acrewoods, Apr 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

what about blue green cyano

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

LOL Now thats funny. Get more flow and stay on top of your maintenance to and not worry about what eats it.

4. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

I had a cyano outbreak about a week ago and purchased 10 Cerith snails and they made mince meat out of it in a matter of a few days. I had it on my rocks, in the sand and it was starting to flow in the current and as soon as I added the Cerith snails it was gone in literally a few days. I would sit and watch the snails on a piece of rock covered with the cyano and as they moved across it the rock would be completely clean of the crap.
    The snails would go into the sand bed and consume in from the bottom also.
    Best thing I bought for my tank by a long shot not counting my protien skimmer.

I also found that by stiring up the substate and blowing it off the rocks with a turkey baster to get it in the water column it will be pulled out by the filter/sump. At least it helped in my situation.

Good luck

5. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

i have 20+ ceriths and they dont eat the blue green cyano

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

well not to dump on anyone but I don't have a problem with cyano. I was just stating what I seen. If you read through first post you will see that this is just an addition thing. In addition to everything else you can use scarlet crabs. I think that you should worry about how everything reacts and not just turn a blind eye and say keep up on everything. I think that is a sad way to treat an informative thread. So for all of those that are out there battleing the cyano you can give this a try. And yes kids eat crayons. kids eat everything I am sure they eat cyano too. Thank to all that included what ate there cyano.

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I would never do lights out again. It does nothing but kill off too much and start more cycles. First off it is better to find out what cyano feeds on and use somthing to counter act that. I use calupra but good husbandry is the best defence. I do like that you suggest to suck it out with a baster cause you are ultmitly removing what it is feeding on.

8. Click Here!

9. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Cyanobacteria in all forms feed off of the following nutriants:

Phosphates (PO 4 ) and nitrates (NO 3 )

I have heard that DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) also can play a roll in the Cyanobacteria (but I have yet to see any scientific data to support that, aside from the fact if you have DOCs, chances are you have nitrates as well).

The best thing for anyone to do would find a means of nutrient export, to get the NO 3 and PO 4 out of yours system. Growing any number of macro algae will help in that purpose. In addition to water changes (personally I only change bout 10% a month), will help reduce those figured as well. One of the things that I found most fustrating when I had my first (and thankfully only) outbreak of cyano was that all my water peramiters were pristine! It never occured to me that something was feeding off the nutriants I was testing for!

I also did see some blue legged hermit, and scarlet crabs eatting my cyano after I had been treating it for a few days... But that was only after the entire tank was treated, leading me to believe that they'll eat the dying stuff. But like any crab, they are scavengers and will eat whatever if available (algae, meat, detritus).

Not meaning to be long winded,
    - Gavin

10. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Halloween hermits.

Or so I've heard.

11. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

For hermits I think it depends on the hermit. They can be very curious and some of them may develop a taste for it. I don't think there is any species that consistently eats it across the board.