what does everyone do for backgrounds

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by dbyrd, Jul 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

same here Ziggy, works great! I'm going to try something with the 135 though. I've got some acrylic metallic paint in blue, green and purple. Gonna use a sponge and do small areas then coat it all after it's dry with white. In Lindaland it looks really good. :hehe:

2. Click Here!

3. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I have the TF background paper, black. What did I know, I have gone about this all backwards. But on the other hand if I had all the inf. I have now, I would have missed out on a lot of great stuff! I would still not have a saltwater tank, and my life would have been sadder for it.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Paint it as you will get water and all kinds of crap between the glass and that background paper.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Painted mine black after running into the problems otty mentioned... LOL.......

6. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

I kind of like the black look. Paint is obviously the way to go, however my background in blank. You can see all the wires and the wall behind that. I'm just patiently waiting for coraline to grow up and do it's thing. Personally... blue is right the hell out the door. Go to petco and look at their tanks. All blue, all bland and boring. Just my two cents.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Good point.....I have my end painted black too. I like the way colors show up on it.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have mine painted blue, I prefer it to black. I actually made some spots darker by spraying more so that you get a subtle darkness variation to make it look a little more realistic

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Black makes the coraline stand out. Thants why my background is black.... But everyone has their own preference...

11. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use the Oceanvision adheisive background and did this last tank in blue cause I was looking for somthing diffrent. Had blac on 2 of my past tanks both were the oceanvision backgrounds and I have not had any problem with salt creep and my wifes 20 gal. has it on currently and is tightly sealed as the day I put it on.

12. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

Wow, the things I learn here. I never heard of salt creep. I have the plastic black stuff. All this info is going into the memory bank!