What do you think of the Fluval Chi aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Seano Hermano, May 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

One of my friends wants to start a saltwater tank but does not have much money to spend. Would the Fluval Chi aquarium be a good choice? It is a 5 gallon glass tank with "LED lighting & power filtration." How many watts of light are on it?

If not, what would be a better choice at a reasonable price? I showed him the Ecoxotic reef pico. He loved it, but siad he didn't have the money for it tight now. We've looked at tanks as big as a Oceanic 14g Biocube down to the 3g pico from Ecoxotic.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

I saw a nice modification for the fluval chi that had a hob power filter and also a desk lamp.

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

a fluval chi is similar to the edge and they do not have stock lighting to grow anything, it will need a major upgrade but not as much as the edge. also i dont think the filtration is adequate

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I have the Fluval Chi, the lights and filtration are not sufficient for anything except for maybe some freshwater plants. Check out my 5 gallon build thready. I basically stripped it down kept the tank, added a power filter modded to be a fuge (aquaclear 70) and added a par30.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/5-gallon-nano-96528.html

So, if your looking for an all in one i would go a different route.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

there are many different methods to mod a tank

7. Seano Hermano

Thank you for the replies. I am speaking on the phone with him now.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Obviouisly, but if his friend is looking for something that pretty much come ready to go this is not the tank.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I notice you did not say he wants to start a reef. You just said SW tank. That you can do without a light upgrade I think. Filtration you have to ask someone else on, I have no clue on the chi.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

most smaller tanks already come ready for reefs

12. Seano Hermano

My apologies...I forgot to mention that, though important to know.

He would like to at least keep soft corals. he said he probably wouldn't be able to set up a reef tank when I showed him the cost of lighting. We both thought going with a nano/pico might be a better option. But I am not sure where to go next with this...if he does not have the money( $149) for a 3g pico(ecoxotic).