What do you guys think of these lights?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Covey, Aug 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I like flor. lights and I am going to set up a small reef soon. I was thinking of going T-5s what do you think here is a description.
    Description: Silver Tek Light T5 fluorescent lighting system complete with three built-in Triad T5 electronic ballasts, two power-cords and two switches allowing for dawn and dusk control, individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from German Tek 95% reflective aluminum and I-bolts with V-Hooks to suspend the unit over the tank (GripLock Cable Suspension System available for an additional $29.95). (Bracket/Leg Support System and Acrylic Shield also available.) For a limited time, receive 3 free 6500K Daylight bulbs (GE or Philips) with the purchase of any unit. (No substitutions allowed.) Additional bulbs sold separately. View T5 bulb options. Recommended bulb combinations: 3:3 Sun to Blue/Actinic 03 or 2:1:3 Sun to Aquablue to Blue/Actinic 03. This fixture is not recommended for installation inside a canopy or other enclosure. If you wish to install T5 lighting inside a canopy or enclosure we recommend using a Retrofit Kit which comes standard with moisture proof end-caps.

It was like 300 something for a 6 bulb 36" light. I still don't know what wattage equals what in T5.
    Heres a pic

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Does anyone know why ALOT of lighting companies are using that odd cross section for there lights. It looks like it makes the light 50% wider than it has too. Aquamedics and Won brothers do it too?

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Just the style IMO. The Tek series is great, I'm getting that exact one for my prop tank.

5. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

THe tek lights are very nice. I have a friend who runs the 8 bulb over his 75 and the results are impressive!

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

What kind of inverts does that guy keep in that 75. I am still wondering what wattage or how many bulb light to order.

7. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

He keeps SPS that are very colorful and zoo's along with a clam or two.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Hey Covey,

I'm not that sure if this is possible, but if you are concerned that you might not buy 'enough' light, why don't you just get the fitting that will hold the largest number of tubes, and take some tubes out. So get a 7 tube fitting, but only use 4 of the tubes :)

John

10. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

You decided on the T-5's. I'll be interested to see the results. I wasn't sure what you meant by what wattage equals what, but I would assume you meant length-wattage. Here they are 24" =24 watt 36"=39watt and 48"=54watt. Liveaquaria has a special on their Tek hoods. The 36" 8 bulb is $449.99. That would give you 312 watts. Keep us posted.

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was trying to get someone to compare the output of T-5, that I don't know anything about. To the light output of PC which I own two fixtures of. Just so I get some idea I get vastily different quote of like lumens per watt. So I wanted to put it in terms I would be use to. Ex: Does a two bulb PC equal a 4 bulb T5?

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Covey,

Sounds reasonable to me :) Who manufactures the T5 lights?

John