What do people keep in their refugiums?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by oldfishkeeper, Oct 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

contents of refugium

1. sand

4.3%
  2. sand/rock rubble

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. sand/live rock pieces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. sand/live rock/macro algae

69.6%
  5. sand/macro algae

26.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I have no sand, chaeto and just recently started a couple of mangrove pods. The biggest improvement to my system was adding a Reefbreeders LED fuge light. My DT was out competing the fuge. Now, I'm close to an algae free tank!

2. Click Here!

3. DavidinGA

DavidinGA Fire Worm

I believe sand is a bad idea in the fuge/sump because that's where all the ditritus will settle out at and you want to be able to siphon it out....

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking of it being a DSB approximately 4 inches deep. With the idea of having it be a DSB with its properties. So I wouldn't be cleaning it. Bad idea?

5. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

there isn't a right or wrong answer. If the refugium isn't a certain size the DSB won't really do anything. I might put some sand in a dish for my mangroves just because i like the look and can remove it if i need too.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

IMO, actually, IMHO, I think a DSB anywhere is a bad idea- long term.

** if you have had a DSB with no problems, long term, I know it can and does work. But from my early research into this hobby kept me from ever having or wanting one. Im no authority- just another hobbiest with an OK DT.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My thoughts exactly! HOw cold a few stalks match the surface area of a large amount of chaeto as far as nitrate/phosphate removal?
    I have no evidence other than shear surface area to make this assumption. And this assumes both organisms metabolize it at the same rates. For all I know, the Mangorove is like x 20 or something and it would have to be to compete with what chaeto can export/metabolize.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

What a bunch of pros!

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Also couldn't vote on your poll because I didn't like any options. I used to have a couple peices of rock in my fuge but it got nast, now its just cheato. Practically an algae scrubber.

11. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Live rock, chaeto and my thieving cleaner shrimp pair

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have lots of LR, huge clump of chaeto, and four mangroves (for the look). When I put the mangroves in I googled the info and found you need one mangrove per gallon to actually be effective. That's 75 mangroves in my sump LOL. No sand either. Since mine has been up and running (almost two months) I already have green coralline growing on my LR down there as well. Parameters have been good so far.. Maybe has something to do with the light I'm running, it's a compact fluorescent equal to 100W, 1600 lumens, natural daylight. I run it opposite of my DT lights for 8hrs, so it turns on after my DT shuts off for the night.