What do I need

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Ebeg1234, Aug 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

10000000% agreed, I made some HUGE mess ups starting the tank up, its not a race, and sometimes the winner is the one who got to the finish line last, in my "new" experience, slower is better, and slower still is even better than that.

Put the effort in and watch the benefits grow, enjoy the hobby and it will pay you back.

I sound like my Dad there ! LoL

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Thanks for the example Ken.
    Again, I'm not being a jerk, just trying to give a some of what I think, is valid advice.
    There is soo much to absorb in understanding how to successfully keep one of, it not, the most, delicate ecosystems on the planet in a glass box in your living room....

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

hey guys, not trying to be rude at all, yes i agree slow down, but also i think we should try and help him, post up some good articles for him to read instead of just saying go research. he is obviously coming here to research so i think we should help him out :)

5. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

basically you want to setup and get a tank going forget the frag tank idea, just set up a normal bare bottom tank and dont put fish in it. get it stable. you can run a sump if you do not want any live rock in your display tank. I would recommend a few fish tho, as corals will benefit from the fish waste.
    what you will need:
    tank
    overflow
    return pump
    sump
    DT LIGHT
    Power heads for circulation
    Live rock
    Frag Rack
    Live sand(unless you want to go Bare bottom) wich i would recomend for a frag only tank
    heater
    protein skimmer
    refugium if you want it

this setup would be ideal for a reef tank setup. I would say go with this.

OR for non sump route
    tank
    light
    HOB skimmer
    power heads
    heater
    live rock

6. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

i think everyone that posted up here is absolutely right...

the guys telling you to slow down are right.

and so is too all his doom lol..

especially if you're doing this to make money you should take it slow because if you buy things you don't need or buy the wrong thing and you have to buy something again that will put you in the wrong direction as far as making money

however keep doing research some other forums have builders logs that are really nice and this one has the show off your tank threads look into different setups and how they did it for different corals

HOWEVER if you do not know the differ between sps lps and nps, i can't help but wonder what kind of research you were doing for the last month and i'm not saying that to be rude but it fraggin (i am no expert) does come down to more than just a tank frag racks and lights because different corals will need different setups

good luck and post up your progress as you make it