What do I need to dose? (Posted params, p.2)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by aquariaman, Jan 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Just another piece of advice - aim low and dose below what they recommend first and see how much that raises it. Then do a little more if needed

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

+1, very good advise

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

my opinion based on my experience with all the items listed above

Purple Up - if you can exchange it at the LFS , that would be good
    Coral Accel - it's a food based supplement, use it carefully, monitor water quality
    Zooplankton - as above, although depending on size, may or may not have any real use for you, depending on corals being kept
    Reef Code A and B - fine method for maintaining parameters in a smaller system IMHO, but as stated, only dose what you know the tank requires or uses
    Strontium - if you can exhange it, that would not be a bad idea, water changes should maintain that for you, and more succesful reefkeepers than I, never dose it
    Magnesium - after assesing levels and utilisation, add as required to maintain or increase (not by more than 100ppm in any 24 hours )

5. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Alright. A lot of u seem to know what ur talking about so I am going to test my params tomorrow and post them on here. See what's needs to be raised or lowered dailey or weekly. And we can go from there. :D

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You can't go wrong with that. ;D

7. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Just a heads up, we are gonna need tomorrows and the readings from a couple days from now. That way we know how much is being used a day, and therefore how much you need to dose. One days measurements won't tell us much.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

What brand of salt are you suing as well, Im using reefers best by Korraline zucht and have had to cut back on dosing quite a bit. I used reef crystals before. I use ESV B Ionic alk and calcium. My salt has always been high in mg so never needed to adjust that or ph. I use Tropic Marin Zooplankton for soft and sps, i find it to be great source of food.

Also how heavily stocked with sps and lps are you, with that percentage of water changes you could get by if it were lightly stocked.

10. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

+1 only dose for what you are testing for. I would personally do a large water change to and measure your baseline water quality levels. Then test your parameters every few days to determine what elements are depleted and at what rate. Knowing the rate that your tank consumes elements may help you predict your initial dosing requirements.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

How can you be testing for all except strontium? Half the products you mentioned don't even disclaim what is in them...

All you need to dose is calcium and alkalinity and that is only IF you are testing for them and they are declining and water changes are not enough to bring them back to the proper level. The only other thing I might dose would be magnesium, but that is rarely needed in most systems, as it is used very slowly and water changes are often sufficient. There are a few other things to dose, in very specific situations, but for most people, these are unnecessary.

12. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Alright! Here are the params... i still couldnt get the Magnesium testing. It is the red sea brand and it very exact and specific. I got the starting color but never could get the ending color (blue) no matter how much i put of the "C" solution. Here are the params anyway. btw: I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

PH---------- 8.2
    Ammonia--- 0
    Nitrite------- 0
    Nitrate------ 0
    Phosphate---0
    KH-----------8 dkh
    Calcium-----360

How does everything look? What do i need to change and what do i need to dose? Thanks for the comments! You guys really help me out! :)