What do I need for Clams?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by bl**dydrivers, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

For a starter, I would go out on a limb and say a Squamossa. They tend to be fairly light forgiving, heartier then dersa's with less problems relating to sediment buildup.

They also come in some really pretty colors/patterns if you look.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

watt's/gallon means nothing anymore. One of my best friends has about 2 watts per gallon on his very successful 300 gallon sps tank. He keeps everything in that tank from top to bottom but he has metal halide with lumenarc reflectors. 2 watts of pc compared to that is a joke and probably wouldn't sustain anything other than non photosynthetic critters.

4. madlarkin

^^
    good call, I did just realize the OP never stated what kinda lighting he was running.

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I would not recommend a squamossa for a 55g tank.
    I bought a 3" squamosa that is now 12" shell length and 16" with mantel extended and it's only under 6 fourty watt NO's.
    I'm trying to find a buyer as it's too big for the 65g tank it's in and I have no room in my larger tanks for it.

[​IMG]

I also have a purple crocea under those NO's but the gold trace lines througout don't show like they would under better lighting.

6. madlarkin

Unfortunately, even Maxima's get close to that size. The only clam that will stay reasonably small is going to be a Crocea and they are definitely one of the more demanding clams. Ive got a total of 3 maximas and 2 squamossa in my tank right now, but I also know that they are getting moved to a much larger home in the future. If you don't plan on upgrading or dedicating the space, selling it is going to have to be an option.