what do emerald crabs eat?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

What do emerald crabs eat in the context of a display tank?

On a very related note, I have a few, nickel sized patches of green hair algae that's maybe 1/4" long (at the moment). I want something that will go after this. Of my current CuC (which is diverse and huge), only the Chitons seem to eat it, but they are very slow. Very. I'd rather an invert take care of this over a Blenny or anything. If possible.

What doesn't eat it: blue hermits, ceriths, nerites, limpets, planaxis, peppermint or skunk shrimp, clownfish :p.

Params are excellent. Nitrate finally 0'd two weeks ago and has held. Phosphates have dropped and are almost 0 according to API test kit.

I'm thinking an emerald will zero in on these patches. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I have one and it eats everything...then again, people have had emeralds touch nothing and die of starvation. But they're voracious algae eaters, so have a go! Wouldn't hurt!!

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

emeralds

.... seriously they eat algae and some meat if they can get it, but usually the stay on the same rock so its rock would be clean but it won't really wonder around the tank. so drop it where you want it get to work

5. Wally1402

Wally1402 Plankton

Yea, they scour the rocks eating lots of algae. A lot of people use them when they have bubble algae as they are great at clearing that up.

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I've never been a huge fan of emeralds because they can exhibit the whole jekyll and hyde thing, but recently I've been swamped by members of my club picking up like 10 or more at a crack and praising their hair eating ability. They've always been reported to eat bubble algae but looks like they decimate hair as well-as long as there is enough emeralds in the tank.

Good luck

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Thanks for the feedback!

I know they can sometimes be a pain. I'm prepared for that (I'll try to watch them and won't feel bad if I have to return them).

Does anyone have experience with them alongside Peppermint and/or Skunk cleaner shrimp? My shrimps are my favorite and they're all pretty active. I don't want anything messing with my shrimp.

I'm planning on maybe 2 emeralds. My LFS says I only need to use the float acclimation, but this seems dubious to me. Any opinions on acclimating emeralds? I floated my hermits with no prob, so maybe they're right...

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

crabs are usually ok with just floating them, its probably stressful on the animal but they live almost always. as far a emeralds vs shrimp they wouldn't be able to catch them unless they are sick there definitely not the fastest thing in the tank

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

My 2 emeralds have no problems with my 2 skunk shrimp, 1-2 peppermint(not really sure how many are left) and blood shrimp. They eat everything. My crabs' main diet is microalgae, but they also love live macro and broccoli when I put it in for my tang and coral beauty. Occasionally they will come across a piece of mysis or other meaty food and they love that. If you can't find something else, algae blennies do a great job.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My emerald eats non-stop....

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have had a couple and could never get them to eat anything. I know in the wild they primarily consume bubble algae.