What could i grow?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by erock38, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

Exactly these ^ all the ones listed are very easy and great looking. If you search the web you can find online dealers, also many people on this forum would be willing to trade or sell you some great soft corals! Once you amass 50 posts you can start posting in the wanted forum, at which time you can describe what you want. People will gladly help you out, sometimes someone is simply trying to rid of corals and will only ask you to pay for shipping.

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

You may also be able to grow some Euphyllias (Torch, Frogspawn, Hammer, Grape) and maybe Duncans near the top. I would start out with the softies and Zoas/Palys first, though ;)

4. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

ok thanks. I will start researching.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It's a 29H; 30"wide x 12"deep x 18"high. My 2 x 24 T5HO is 4" above the water and 19" above the substrate. FWIW, some softies had trouble acclimating to the ATI bulbs. :)

6. matthatter79

matthatter79 Plankton

I used this light for awhile on a 36 bowfront. Replaced bulbs at about 3 months with giesemann aqua blue+ and actinic+ bulbs. Grew softies great. I did have some gha but I'm guessing that was due to the canister filter. Torch corals did ok trumpets did pretty well. Recently upgraded to 55 gallon with radions and softies defienetly did better under the odyysea unit. My blastomussas did excellent under the odyysea unit. Excited to finally be able to upgrade and use a sump with a good protien skimmer. If you are only doing softies and some lps I would say go for it and upgrade to decent bulbs or go with a reef builders value 120w led as it is doing very well on my brothers 40g breeder softie lps tank. Also I had a GBTA under the t5 that did well until I changed the flow in the bowfront. After that it kept moving and got stuck in the power heads. Had that tank for over a year.

7. RavenMind

RavenMind Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'd be real careful with those Oddysea fixtures. The one I had looked good, but the circuitry was crap and the fans were fake. After about 3-4 months something went pop overnight & the thing started on fire. Luckily I was in the room at the time and was able to put the fire out before it burned down my house. It didn't seem to be anything water related, but something in the circuitry.

This is the one I'm looking at currently: http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife..._Fixtures-Coralife-ES08604-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

I too have a 36g Bowfront. Hoping to get into corals. :) Good luck to you!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

That's crazy! Did you contact the company?

10. RavenMind

RavenMind Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

No. At the time I didn't think it was worth it, being a Chinese company. I didn't think they'd give me a refund and definitely did not want a replacement.

11. Camkha1234

Sorry to hear that happen to you :(

12. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

I would highly recommend a Tek fixture for T5. High quality individual reflectors. You can hang it or have it mounted with legs. Recommend hanging because you can adjust the height of the units. 2 power cords controlling outer and inner lights separately. They come in 4,6,and 8 bulb fixtures. Not all lengths have this option. Not the cheapest or the most expensive but they do deliver quality amounts of light.