What could i grow?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by erock38, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

With getting two different bulbs do you have it where they run at different times or you just do on/off?

2. Click Here!

3. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

I have them running at the same time. It gives the tank a very calming color. I just have a little Brinks Home security timer. $5

1 person likes this.
  4. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

Ok thanks again

5. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

I was told at a LFS that my 2x24watt nova extreme t5ho would not support my tank enough to grow soft coral or any coral in my 36 gallon bow front. Is this true?

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Perhaps I need to convince my corals that they're supposed to be dying, not growing. Sounds like someone is trying to establish an opportunity to sell a lighting fixture.

JM2C

7. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

it would definitely grow soft corals! they are trying to sell you a higher end fixture. If you plan on keeping lps/sps corals or clams then save up for at least a 4 bulb fixture. But if you just want soft corals, get the two bulb with ATI bulbs or another quality bulb manufacturer. I personally run ATI bulbs and love them, one of the best for sure.

8. Click Here!

9. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

ok thanks because i was really worried being that i had already placed my order for it. Can you give me an example of some good looking corals i could grow? Or somewhere i can look?

10. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

what size tank do you have?

11. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

You could probably grow Leathers, Kenya trees, Green Star Polyps, Xenia, Zoas, Palys, and Mushrooms.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Or get a cheap Chinese LED off Ebay, with or without dimmers, the bulbs last like 15 years, and be done with it? For under 150 bucks- new, shiupped to your door? And no, I don't sell them, but I do have 2 of them over my 125 now.
    As far as growing corals?
    I have 36 different species of corals.
    15 SPS, the rest mixed LPS and softs, etc.
    They thrive with this light system. One of the best bangs for the buck I've spent.
    Along with my SC150 Protein skimmer- new, shipped- $95

As far as staying with T5's- I probalby agree with the advice you have be given on here, especilaly the the new bulbs every year thing.