What could be wrong with these zoas and palys?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by zesty, Sep 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thomas haleiwa

Thomas haleiwa Detritus

Feed them

See it they will take a brine or pellet. Some grow really slow. Also think about splitting the ones on the disc. They are spreading away from one another and could be frags from multiple coral heads attempting to not compete. IMO. Simple, they look healthy and seem to have good light, it may be that the dealer fragged multiple heads on a singe disc. I have had this before.

Tom

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Interesting. I've never seen a zoa take brine or a pellet. Sure you're not thinking of a Paly? The first two are zoas, the last is a Paly. All of them are stressed. Too many changes in a short amount of time.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You need some mag but that's not going to kill you zoas.
    What is your water making routine/water change routine? Do you know if your city puts chloramines in the water? How old are your RO/DI filters and TDS readings?

This is just a thought:
    I had something similar happen to me. Parameters were good. You're parameters are not perfect but probably not going to kill zoas. The phosphate is not helping. Get that phosphate under control. Refugium? There is some sort of imbalance in you water though just looking at the mag.
    The only thing I could figure that happened to me was I let the TDS go up to about 15 before I changed my filters. Always keep it at zero. Get completely fanatical about your RO/DI water. More and more cities are starting to put chloramines in water. It stays in the water longer than chlorine because it doesn't burn off as fast as chlorine. They are starting to make chloramine removing sections for RO/DI units. BRS has them. There is an extra carbon block to remove them. Maybe check that out. You can call your city and ask about it. Also I did not have a refugium. I did start running an algae scrubber that helped po4/no3. New tank will have a fuge. What size tank and how long up and running?
    Anyway I started doing big water changes because some things like zoas were dying and it was probably just making it worse with old RO filter and no chloramine filter. (My current City Plano TX adds chloramines to water) I did change the filters but I did not have a chloramine filter. So it did not really help much.
    Good luck.

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I do a min of 15 gallon water changes once a week, the max is 25 gallons. I have a BFS RO/DI in my basement into the brute bins for storage. I use a dual inline TDS meter, I check it every time I make water and it spits out 0 TDS. I replaced the filters and new DI resin when I bought it used, about 3 months ago. I did not change the membrane. I run a GAC filter to hit the chloramines.

I have a sump that's been running for 2 months, you can check it out in my signature. I have chaeto (sp?) in the fuge section and that's it.

DT is 65 and has been "running" for years. However, 1 year ago it got moved from Illinois to Wisconsin. At that point it was a FOWL. When it moved up here it slowly turned into a reef tank. So I say it's been running for a year to be on the safe side.

When the tank moved up here a year ago, I bought RO/DI water from a LFS, so it's had RO/DI water for that time period in Wisconsin.

I will work on getting my parameters (mag & dKH) in check. Hopefully, they will bounce back in time.

Thank you all for your help.
    Matt

6. Thomas haleiwa

Thomas haleiwa Detritus

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    Good point, I'll relook at the pictures. My PPE's will take Ocean Nutrition formula one marine pellets one at a time by hand twice a week. The very small pellets.

My Pally's will take them every other day. Here is a pic just after handing my PPE's some grub. Yes sometimes they toss it out, but sometimes the eat it up. This is a live rock I'm building up for a friend.

Attached Files:

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

This post and my LFS has my closet full of Seachem aquavitro products. I am ready to start this journey... I think....

I have started by waiting a day after my latest water change and testing the water for Ca, ALK & Mg.
    Ca - 490 ppm
    Alk - 7.7 dKH
    Mg - 1320 ppm

So I dosed the recommended daily dose to get my Alk up and the next day I was up to 8.1 dKH. I have stopped a day after a second dose of the same volume. I need to write these dosages down (crapbar). That was yesterday, I plan on checking my Alk & calcium tonight and probably Mg since I'm testing the other two.

I think I saw somewhere on here the BRS video explaining (with balls) the way they interact with each other and it all became clear, in my head anyway. I should post the video, I may need to come back to it...

BRS how calcium & alkalinity function

Thank you for the help! I'm glad to be understanding this, even if it's just barely...

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Learning is what this hobby is about. I like my alk to be 10-11 range. Your calcium is fine, mag is ok, I keep mine 1380-1420.

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

So, I moved the bicolor angel out of the display tank and look what happened to these guys.
    [​IMG]

I'm happy again!!

I'm still watching my 3 numbers, I'm just trying to keep things consistent and leaving the tank alone. That also could have helped.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

So the Angel was nipping?

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Yeah, I caught him nipping on a hammer coral, so that was enough for me to take him out. Then most all of my corals turned around within days. PE was coming out on most all my corals and looking better.

I actually have only had him out of the tank since Sunday and the results started showing up the next day and getting better every day since!