what conditions does chaeto need: lighting etc?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by coyle, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

K+ nice link.. well I guess that CF 5100k flood bulb is the one to get.. wonder if they have these at home depot or lowes..

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I haven't found it there, but the higher kelvin 6500k bulb works just as well.... the original study was done in 2005 and the CFL's have changed a lot in that time.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well I have been using a 13w twisty cfl bulb "probly 3000k" and my 15w t8 "6000k" working for a few days on the chaeto and mangroves. have seen growth on some leaves.. I just decided to upgrade . I went to home depot and got this cfl flood light bulb.. not the exact one I wanted but didnt feel like driving elsewhere.. will this be good enough, its 120w equivlent.

"+v25+"

The 23 watt CFL uses 75% less energy than a 120 watt incandescent floodlight and lasts up to 3 times longer. Ideal for use in recessed and track lighting. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. (E)* means this bulb meets Federal minimum efficiency standards.

Color Spectrum: 5000k
    Light Output: 1200 Lumens
    Energy Used: 23 Watts
    Life Hours: 8,000 Hours
    Save up to $98.00 in energy costs over life of bulb
    Daylight provides accurate color rendition and simulates natural sun light
    8,000 life in hours

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Guys, I know this thread is almost a couple of weeks old, but I'm almost done with my fuge build and I've bought one of those clip on bell looking fixtures from home depot, the problem was than when looking for a CFL all ratings were in "lumen" and I was completely unable to find one that was rated at 65000 K.

I've been having lately a spike on my Nitrates, so I want the newly acquired chaeto to do a very good job. To grow as much as possible, without spending anything more than 10 bucks. Is there a comparison chart between Lumen and K's anywhere?

OR

Could you recommend a brand and wattage lamp from HD or Lowes I could pick up? Even from walmart for that matter. I just need a good light for chaeto and a few mangroves.

Thanks! I appreciate any help.

- Mag.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

look for "daylight bulbs" not soft white etc.. if you have the light bulb model # etc you can do a google search with the bulb name / specs and can dig up K rating..

lumen means output.
    K is color spectrum.

this is the one Im using now.. dont need a reflector..

EcoSmart 23 Watt (120W) R40 Daylight, 1 Pack (E)* - ES5R42350K at The Home Depot

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

the 5000k light bulb is very top of picture..

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I was unsure about the wattage, but I was able to find an Eco Smart 18W 6500K Flood Light at Lowe's and just put that in. Not much heat to it really. I hope it stays this cool. It's been running for about 2 hours and I can touch it with my bare hands for approximately 45 seconds before it starts feeling a little hot.

It's a pretty white light, I hope my mangroves will do as good as Night-Rida's.

- Mag.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

should work fine. they produce little heat.. lowering light closer to chaeto increases growth but no need to do that... run 12hrs on 12hrs off.

11. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I bought the same bulb as you have night-rida and installed it a couple of days ago.
    I just got my chaeto and mangroves then too so I hope they do as well as yours.
    Time will tell!!!

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

my chaeto has got alot firmer since putting it in the sump. I usally spread the ball to a flat mat, and flip over every other day.. so both sides get light.. if you have the room in the future adding a second light will increase growth. I know my nitrates have been at 0 steadly now every since introducing chaeto/mangroves. its a blessing and I dont know why I did do this sooner.

;D