what conditions does chaeto need: lighting etc?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by coyle, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Yip what he said...lol..I use the spiral looking ones they use less energy, but give good bang for the buck..just check out any home stores lighting section and you will see them..

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

im only using a 15watt 18" t8 eclipse 6500k daylight bulb.. is this enough for me? I had the fixture and (new) light bulb laying around.. and just thrown some chaeto in with my mangroves in the sump recently..

my nitrates are between 20-30ppm right now, phos: .0-.025

4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

my knowledge on this is slim,but I have read that people are using a similar light to yours and it seems to grow.I guess more light would only help it grow a little better..I do believe its the amount of food(nutrients you dont want) that will make it grow fast or not..there are times when mine seems to stop but then speeds back up...for what its worth id say keep it and see how it reacts..since you had the stuff laying around anyway..

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well time will tell. if I need to upgrade to a higher watt bulb I will. I am running 16hour light cycle currently. on a side note, my mangroves are growing a new set of leaves, and just opened up. so I guess maybe the light will be enough.. it does help that the 6500k was brand new so I know its at least 100% efficent bulb right now.

6. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I run a Home Depot plant light in a clip-on fixture - seriously - and my chaeto has grown into a thick mat.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I did just find a 13w twisty style bulb "bright effects" im trying it in my room light fixture to see if there alot of heat. I also have a corded light socket/wall plug laying around somewhere.. might be able to use both t8 and twisty bulb if heat isnt going to be an issue in my tank stand.

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Just a 6500 curly fry bulb and my Chaeto goes nuts.

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I think as long as your closee to that 65ook spectrum you should be ok.

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

ok good. I just fluffed up/spread out my chaeto ball and made it flatter so more of it is close to the surface of water.. my t8 6500k light is about 14" above it right now..

12. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Melevsreef did a study i.e. compared bulbs for two weeks on which made the chaeto grow faster. Scroll to the bottom for the result (The whole page is good tho!)

Fuge / Chaeto Growth