What conditions caused your anemone to split?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Va Reef, Jun 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Just wondering what has caused splitting in everyone else's anemones. My RBTA is getting kind of big, and I was wondering if there's any tips or tricks to induce splitting. He went from the size of a quarter with maybe 10 tentacles, to bigger than a softball in a couple months.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I got super busy for a semester and had some bad algae bloom... my two RBTAs ended up becoming 14. They all survived as well. I sold 11 of them and put 3 into my new 90 gallon tank... and one of them split after sitting in a dark spot for a few weeks. So, for me... it was lower light.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Honestly I thought it was good params, light and feeding. My RBTA was small with about 8-10 tentacles on it and a few months later I noticed it had doubled in size so I checked it out and sure enough it has another foot. They hang together and they host both of my maroons. I spot feed them PE mysis twice a week and have a 36" 6 bulb T5 fixture with ATI bulbs on a 36 bowfront. HTH.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Thanks, I know they can split when stressed, but 14 :eek: that's a lot haha
    I've been feeding mine PE mysis, some type of frozen "plankton" (bigger than mysis) and frozen predator mix. He sits at the top of the tank under a par38 bulb in a 14 biocube, and is now about 4.5" across or so.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

All I can add is that mine have usually split the first month after introduction to a new tank and there after if they were feed every two weeks.

For feedings I used raw meaty foods from the grocery store, like clams, fish, scallops, very small pieces every two weeks.

Personally I would rather have clones than one huge one that takes up a lot of real estate in a smaller tank.

7. 5280 Reef

5280 Reef Plankton

50% water change one week then do another 50% the following week and whaaa laa. Or so I've been told :D

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It never split the first month (in-fact none of my nems have split in the first month). I'll switch over to bigger foods and hope. I too prefer clones over one large one.

Thanks, I feel like this would cause a stress split though.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

You don't want it to split because of stress, big differance! Give it time and keep feeding but make sure the food is in small pieces. Look into rods food, my nem likes that too.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yeah I know, that's why I'm looking for ways other than stress splitting :p

12. Akida

Akida Plankton

BTA split

Just purchased a nice rose BTA that looked to be doing great. After acclimation, I had a nice rock with a couple good crevices to place him in. He was doing great the first day, so I decided to feed him. Fed some squid which he devoured. The next morning when my lights kicked on, walah 2 BTA anemones. This has never happened to me before so I just wanted to make sure that it's normal or at least not harmful.

55g tank with a 18g sump running 2 kessil sky blue 150W LEDs, emperor aquatics 25w uv lite, reef octopus xs160 skimmer, Vortech MP10 for flow.

Parameters: salinity 1.025, nitrate 0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 ph 8.2 alk 8.5dkh calcium 440 mag 450 temp around 79

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014