What cohabitates well with SPS & Clams

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by darkliteseeker, Oct 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

I was wondering what other livestock is easy to keep with sps corals and clams ? I know its alot of light and water movement but could I keep some Rics and Zos on the under side of the rock work? What livestock should I stay away from ?

Thanks
    Ricky

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You know there are some nasty stinging SPS's too. Some acros are asses. But yeah, you should keep softies and LPS away from SPS because SPS usually cannot compete with the nematocysts of softies or LPS corals.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Mushrooms are the lowest light demanding organisms. You could place them in areas of subdued light, and even if you had them in areas of moderate to intense light, they will move on their own to set up in a better location. All of your Star and Button polyps require more light than shrooms and therefore, should be placed accordingly in better lit areas of your tank. Really most of your Soft corals and most Large Polyped Stonies can be housed in areas of low to moderate lighting areas as lighting requirements
    are not as pertinent as that of most Small Polyp stonies and adult Tridacna Clams and anemones.
    For answers to what livestock would be acceptable and thrive in a reef tank i'd purchase the Scott W. Michael book called Reef aquarium fish and reef aquarium inverts I believe it is called!!!!! It will help you with fish etc. for your tank.

5. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

Thanks guys;D

I aready have Mush Zoa Open brain pogada cup and torch. When I setup the MHs want to add acro monti and clams, as long as I give everybody their space and locate them towards the right lighting and flow I'll ok right ?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You should be fine. Just keep in mind that mushrooms reproduce like rabbits and have been known to take over a tank completely, systematically choking out any other coral competitors so if your future plans are to keep a lot of sps corals, you'll want to keep that in mind.