What causes clams to die?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by kcbrad, Jun 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks a lot for the information. I read both sides of the debate. Not knowing which one to believe, I did add phyto, but only twice a week or so.

And that's what I'm worried about - a contagious disease. Problems only started after adding this new clam that died so quickly. Grrrrr!!!! I hope my big maxima is okay. I'm doing a water change today or tomorrow, don't know if that will help.

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I don't know much about clam diseases but I've heard that around 3 in or smaller clams require phyto and photosynthesis for food. More so the smaller they are. I read one article about a reefer who aquired a 1in maxima and then built a movable bed for it. That way they could raise the bed and fill it with phyto for feedings. The bed had about 5 in walls on it so it could be raised just above the water level so all of the phyto stayed in there. Then once the clam ate it's fill the bed was lowered back down into the tank. Not sure on the frequency, but I believe they did this 3-4 times a week and slowly tapered off as it grew.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Horkn could you point me towards some of your research? I would like to get a better understanding on this. I have stayed away from smaller clams which would work better in the Nano tanks I use. My local fish clubs and most of the websites that sell clams seem to still be telling me that you need to supplement food to smaller clams. Thanks in advance.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Hmmm, yes... That's enough evidence for me to feel confident in coming to a conclusion about where to choose future clams from ;)

I've never had problems with wild caught clams anyways! They are usually very tollerant of a lot of things.

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Prior to getting a clam, I did a good amount of research and what I found was 1) clams can look very healthy one day and be dead the next because they are dying from the inside out, very similar to what someone said about anemones. 2) The reasons for dying (other than a pyramid snail infestation) are obscure and most people never know what kills them. There is so much about this hobby that we might never understand. That being said, I am no where near an expert on clams and I have had my 4" derasa for about 6 months and it is still appears to be very healthy and growing from its original 3 1/2" *knocks on wood*. I do not feed mine and rely purely on photosynthesis. I do find that I have to dose calcium as it consumes more than is replaced with water changes.

KC, I am very sorry for your loss and wish your other clam the best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Kelley, I have not done any research, but I have seen enough of these small ones 2" and some 1.75" or so raised with no phyto dosing. Now do the clams get any phyto naturally occuring in the tank? maybe? There are some very well known researchers that have come to the conclusion that no phyto dosing is needed. I go with that ideology.

Delbeek and Sprung don't buy into the feeding small clams phyto claims. here is a little article with reference to thate ffect. Scroll down a bit..
    Care of Tridacnid Clams, Giant Clam Care and Clam Facts

Here are some other articles supporting the no extra phyto need as well

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/lfs.html
    Tridacnid Clams In The Nano Reef - Nano Reef Articles - Nano-Reef.com

I do have 2 ORA clams now, one ultra maxima, and one derasa. To that I have 3 croceas. Had my rogue emerald crab not eaten my green maxima I would have 3 ORA clams. I may have simply gotten unlucky the last time when several of us didn't have good luck from ORA stock.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

same here! ok good im not alone... same with chromis and cardinalfish

10. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks Horkn! I appreciate the research. Now that I have some better lighting I will try a small clam and see how it does. Again, thanks!

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

if nothing else, kc, i'd be running carbon...

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Already on it. Thanks for the suggestion!