What bulbs for a 72" constellation?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by modifyd, Dec 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. modifyd

modifyd Plankton

This is for a mixed reef tank that is a 155 bowfront, I'm switching from Metal Halides. My choices are:
    UVL Actinic White, UVL Aquasun, UVL Super Actinic,
    Giesemann Midday 6000, Giesemann Aquablue Plus, Giesemann Actinic Pure, or
    Giesemann Actinic Plus.
    Also in what order should they be placed and time of day they should be on and how long? sorry for all the Q's but I want to make the switch over and order this light this by Monday morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

4. modifyd

modifyd Plankton

Thanks, but I can't read German?

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Constellation eh? I almost bought one... Tom at Aquactinics was really working on me!! I decided to build my own, this way I have 8 bulbs instead of 7(well actually 14 but you know what I mean) Only downside to the constellation is the fact that you need to buy 14 bulbs!!!!! I would go with this mix(because I do!) GMan all the way,
    Back to front
    Actinic+
    Blue+
    Actinic+
    Blue+
    Actinic+
    Blue+
    Or at least I think they are in that order, I know thats the bulbs!! I will most likely swap out one of the 6700k for a blue+ or maybe even actinic+.
    Enough about me... I keep 1/2 on for 12 hours and all of them on for 7.5 hours, the 12 hr half is 2 blue+ and 2 actinic+, for my dawn dusk period.
    Ok now enough about me, I would keep them on for a minimum of 8, but since you have multiple switches you can mimic dawn/dusk as well.
    In regards to the bulbs the main thing is what "color" are you looking for?

Congrats on the awesome piece of equipment!!

Happy reefing!

6. modifyd

modifyd Plankton

Thanks for the info!

7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I have the same fixture, this is what i was recommended for maximum par with a bluer feel and some super actinic cause i like how it makes the colors on coral pop. I was given this combo for maximum par cause i want to keep sps, the name brand bulb is suppose to be slightly better on par readings than other bulbs but im sure it wouldnt make or break your lighting. Its what im going with anyway

The lamp 3 and 5 ballast will run a actinic and blue which is the best dusk/dawn setting
    Front
    ATI Blue Plus
    GE 6500K Daylight
    UVL Super Actinic
    ATI Blue Plus
    ATI Blue Plus
    UVL Aquasun
    ATI Blue Plus