Resolved what are these things

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by loneracer05, Oct 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

:( all well they only charged me afew bucks bc they didnt know what they were atleast i can hopefully give them food to get by on well the one that survived the half hr drive home:/...and yes they are very beautiful hes in a 29 gal biocube on the back so you can see him in full view ... ill try to get some pics later when i get home from work if hes still there

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

they wer listed as assorted nudibranch/cucumbers from indonisia

Thats strange, nudibranchs and cucumbers aren't even slightly related.

4. laf-n-gas

laf-n-gas Astrea Snail

Looks like a cucumber and a nudi. I am to sceeeered to get a cucumber (I don't understand them completely) and most nudis are not completely coral safe. Cool looking though.

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

im sorry this one made me LOL, flat worms are much much smaller :)

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Some flatworms can get up to around 12 inches..........:)

7. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

lol if you have 12 inch flat worms in ur tank you have problems esp ones with those patterns lol

8. Click Here!

9. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That's true, because if you have one of the monster spotted flatworms, he'll eat any molluscs you have in the tank. Nevertheless...the critter in this thread is REALLY, TRULY, Jorunna funebris, a sponge-eating nudibranch, not a flatworm and not a cucumber, lol. I have collected a few and seen a lot of them. They are widespread across the Indo-Pacific, and are probably the third or fourth most common nudi in Samoa, where I spent most of my time in the water.

Additionally, most nudibrancs are completely coral safe. None of the dorids eat corals, and you probably only need to fear a limited number of the aeolids. They seem to be very specific in their diets, so if you wind up with a cluster of them on your Montipora, you really don't have to worry about them eating your zoanthids, and vice versa.

Cheers,

Don

1 person likes this.
  10. loneracer05

well the nudibranch died :( and disappeared ( things in this tank seem to do that). the sponge i ordered hasnt come i guess they cant go that long with out food :(.

11. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Sorry to hear that. That's what usually happens, though. It's probably been starving for quite a while before you got it.

Cheers,

Don

12. loneracer05

yeah this is true :( poor little guy... wish i could have gotten him some food to help him out though... i hate having things die if its something ii can help :(....but i guess i dont know if the sponges i ordered wer even the right ones for him so i shouldnt get so down on myself i guess.