Resolved what are these things

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by loneracer05, Oct 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree looks like a nudi.

How can the label say assorted nudibranch/cucumbers? Just a little broad but I shouldn't talk my LFS gets in assorted sea horses lol.

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

they wer a replacement for something else apparently.... there were cucumbers and nudis in the same box i think :/. i decided to give them a shot becuase theyre either going to die here or there...he gave me both for $10... so i gave one to a friend. sadly its dead already before it even hit the tank :( ...

4. loneracer05

now the question is the one that is alive in my tank can he release toxins? what does he eat? i know most nudis eat sponges correct? which sponges does this guy need ill make sure to order him some.... now that hes home safe in my tank ill try to get a better pic 2maro. lights are out ect.

5. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

He won't release toxins in your tank when he dies, but I suspect he's not going to live very long. This is another one of the obligate sponge-eating nudibranchs, Jorunna funebris. They get fairly large. Here's some good reading about them:

The Sea Slug Forum - Jorunna funebris

Cheers,

Don

6. aussiejodie

aussiejodie Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I believe it looks like a nudibranch, Ok if you dont have corals. We had a black one in the tank that developed the tree like fins on the back after a few months then he started eating out corals...he had to go.

7. loneracer05

thanks don i agree 100% with you i ordered a bunch of sponges hopefully he will like one of them and he will eat it :) and i really do appreciate the help. thanks everyone

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Even if they do eat the sponges you have, they don't live very long even in the wild. So unless they reproduce, they won't be around very long.

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

lol that happened to me too. they got in sea horses and all it said was assorted sea horses. they also did this to cucumbers, snail, hermit crabs, and frags lol

11. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

that thing is so cool... i have tank envy!

12. LongIslandAndy

LongIslandAndy Plankton

Hi

Pagojoe hit it on the head, eats blue sponge but will not poison the tank

Andy